simple psoc5 board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

I'm trying to make a simple PSOC 5 board with just the PSOC, support capacitors, a kitprog connector and an op-amp but I can't get the kitprog to talk to it. I believe I am following the directions on page 10 of the datasheet in terms of capacitor values and vccd/vddio/vdda/etc. , I'm checking that SWDCLK and SWDIO are getting to the part and RST on the kitprog is connected to the XRST pin of the PSOC chip (pin 15 on the QFP). there is a 10k ohm pullup on the RST/XRES line. measuring it seems to show that it is constantly high. the VCCD pin/cap has 1.8v on it.  nothing shows up aside from the kitprog itself in psoc creator. 

I'm not really sure what to debug next. anyone have advice on how to move forward or what this? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3

I got it working

since I wasn't sure if it was the programming interface or the chip itself that was not running, I modified the design of my board and milled out a test board on a PCB mill (gotta love rapid prototyping). the new design had an LED that would blink if the program was good. I pre-programmed a chip that was attached to a CY8CKIT-010 to blink the LED. I then used a hot-air station to pull that programmed chip off and soldered it down to my new board. the new board started blinking the LED and the programming interface worked. I'm not sure what caused the chip to work this time. it may have been better routing of the VCCD line since I improved that on the new board. it might have been that I made sure I couldn't power up the VDDD or VDDIO without also powering VDDA to the same voltage (tied them all together on the board instead of the jumpers I had before). I also upped the VDDA decoupling cap to 2.2uF instead of the 1uF I had on there before.

so, it is unfortunate that I don't know exactly what fixed it (I could have ESD'd the old one for all I know), but at least it is working now.

thanks for the help, everyone. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

duno,

Is the RESET signal on the KitProg connected to the RST line of your PSoC5 CPU?

I've detached quite a few KitProg boards from CY8CKit-059 eval boards and header reconnected to the Target board with great success.

If you haven't got RST connected to the KitProg board then you need to configure the KitProg board to perform a power down/power up to force the PSoC5 target into programming mode.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

sorry for not being clear. I'll edit my post. the RST pin on the kitprog is connected to the target chip's XRES pin (pin 15 on the TQFP). there is also a 10k ohm pullup on the line to VDDIO/VDDD.  (I also tried it without the 10k pullup, but that also didn't do anything)

0 Likes

duno,

Thanks for the confirmation.

When you try to program it, the "Select Debug Target" Window comes up but only displays the KitProg/<some number>.

Is the "Show all targets" selected at the bottom?

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1617304449677.png

Len
0 Likes
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3

yes, it only shows the kitprog. I can connect the kitprog to the cy8ckit-059 in came from and see a 2nd device in the chain, but when I go to my board, it shows nothing.

also, I may have powered up my board without VDDA connected (only VDDD and VDDIO).  could that have damaged my part? the VCCA output measures 2V. 

0 Likes

duno,

Damaged ... ?

Here is a small excerpt from the PSoC5LP Architecture TRM page 126:

15.2 Block Diagram
The power system consists of separate analog, digital, and I/O supply pins, labeled Vdda, Vddd, and Vddiox, respectively. It also includes two internal 1.8-V regulators that provide the digital (Vccd) and analog (Vcca) supplies for the internal core logic. The output pins of the regulators and the Vddio pins must have capacitors connected, as shown in Figure 15-1. The power system also contains a sleep regulator, an I2C regulator, and a hibernate regulator.
Vdda must be greater than or equal to all other power supply pins (Vddd, Vddios) in PSoC LP. This power supply condition is required for the proper ON/OFF condition of the analog switches inside the device, and also for the implementation of the internal level switching logic when signals transition between multiple supply voltage domains.

I highlighted the possible problem area.   If VDDA is not connected does it damage the PSOC?  I don't know.

It the PSoC is already damaged it needs to be replaced.   However before doing that, wire up VDDA to VDDD.  See if the problem is solved.

Len
0 Likes

yes, I already corrected that, and VDDA and VDDD are tied together, I just didn't notice that the VDDA was disconnected before, so I wasn't sure if that could have damaged it.

does the programming interface still work regardless of psoc5 clock setting? could my psoc5 chip be set to use an external clock and since I don't have one on the board, it can't program?

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

You may also need to check with the following application notes.

In Appendix B, there is a Schematic Checklist.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an61290-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-hardware-design-...

moto

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

I had the following problems:
1 -long cable from the programmer (more than 100 mm)
2 - capacitance of the VCC capacitor-less than 1.0 uF
3-VSSA-had a separate output and I forgot to connect it,
   in this case, the chip did not always start working and there came a time when it got hot and burned.

0 Likes
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3

I got it working

since I wasn't sure if it was the programming interface or the chip itself that was not running, I modified the design of my board and milled out a test board on a PCB mill (gotta love rapid prototyping). the new design had an LED that would blink if the program was good. I pre-programmed a chip that was attached to a CY8CKIT-010 to blink the LED. I then used a hot-air station to pull that programmed chip off and soldered it down to my new board. the new board started blinking the LED and the programming interface worked. I'm not sure what caused the chip to work this time. it may have been better routing of the VCCD line since I improved that on the new board. it might have been that I made sure I couldn't power up the VDDD or VDDIO without also powering VDDA to the same voltage (tied them all together on the board instead of the jumpers I had before). I also upped the VDDA decoupling cap to 2.2uF instead of the 1uF I had on there before.

so, it is unfortunate that I don't know exactly what fixed it (I could have ESD'd the old one for all I know), but at least it is working now.

thanks for the help, everyone.