problem with op-amp loading input signal

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Using two op-amps as voltage followers,  one of them does not load the input signal, the other one does-  see the figure below.

The signal at inaP3_3 (port P3[3] ) is fine, no problem.  But at inbP0_2 (port P0[2]) ,  the AC component is removed and I only have the DC portion of Vin  (1kHz,  0.5Vpp with 0.3V DC offset).  At lower frequencies I start to see more AC component.  As if there's a cap on the input.  

I'm using the CY8Ckit-059, so I checked the schematic and did not see anything connected to this pin. 

Can anyone suggest how this could be happening?  

opamploading.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

It seems it was already:

If you have CY8CKIT-059 and you have not deleted C12 (P0.2) then this is the problem.

look here:       https://community.cypress.com/thread/12559

You will have to either delete or use another contact.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

If I change input from P0[2]  to P0[6] , then everything it works fine.  However,  the analog routing is much longer.  Choosing P0[2] makes more sense since it is close to the + input of OpampB  (corresponding to OPAMP0 in hardware)

So there's an issue with P0[2].

Note:  If I delete the pin and drag a new pin over without choosing a port,  then the software automatically chooses P0[2] anyway.  

Hope someone can enlighten me

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I'm sorry but this may not be an answer, but as the issue seemed to be interesting, I ran some tests by myself, too.

With the original using P0[2] scenario, when I set the frequency of the input signal to 10Hz, both output seemed to be OK.

Then as I changed the input frequency to higher, 100Hz, 1kHz, channel B output decreased much faster than channel A.

So I think that the connecting pattern of P0[2] to OpAmp0 may be physically composing a low-pass filter,

but the connecting pattern of P0[6] to OpAmp0's cut-off is much higher.

In the following pictures, ch1 is chA OpAmp3, ch2 is chB OpAmp0

(1) Input 10Hz 0.5v pp + 0.3V DC

10Hz.JPG

(2) Input 100Hz

100Hz.JPG

(3) Input 1kHz

1kHz.JPG

1kHz-2.JPG

Then I changed the chB input to P0[6]

(4) Input 10Hz

2-10Hz.JPG

(5) Input 100Hz

2-100Hz.JPG

(6) Input 1kHz

2-1kHz.JPG

2-1kHz-2.JPG

Analog pattern of OpAmp3

OpAmp3_chA.JPG

Analog pattern of OpAmp0 with P0[2]

OpAMP0_chB.JPG

Analog pattern of OpAmp0 with P0[6]

2-OpAmp0.JPG

In this case as you had 2 channels, you could notice the problem,

but I wonder if I encounter this with only 1 channel without anything to compare,

how could I notice the issue..

moto

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

It seems it was already:

If you have CY8CKIT-059 and you have not deleted C12 (P0.2) then this is the problem.

look here:       https://community.cypress.com/thread/12559

You will have to either delete or use another contact.

MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Dear Evgeniy-san,

Thank you for the information.

I should have checked the schematic... I was only thinking of the PSoC internal circuit.

Having C12 attached, surely make it a low pass!

So probably the most affordable answer is to use a port without C attached, such as P0[6] 😉

Best Regards,

5-Feb-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes

That's excellent-  I did check the schematic and did not see a cap there,  that's why I started this thread.  But if I scroll down the data sheet a little:  right in plain sight !!

bypasscap.png