Announcements

Help us improve the Power & Sensing Selection Guide. Share feedback

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4495571
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hi,

for my UART port pins there is no API generated.

Under Mapping Contiguous is selected.

Whats going on?

0 Likes
1 Solution
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

If you placed a UART component (with pins included) into your design, by default the UART TX and RX pins will have "Suppress API Generation" checked.

KyTr_1955226_0-1695838842372.png

This is generally what you would want, since you want the UART to have control of these pins and wouldn't typically want to mess around with them with the port API while the UART is trying to drive them.  I don't actually know what happens if you try to do so.  I'd imagine the UART will constantly be re-asserting control of the pin while the UART is enabled.  On the other hand I've used PIC MCUs that only take control of TX during transmissions and give control back to the port output latch when done transmitting.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeoMathews
First question asked 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi @user_4495571 

Can you please mention the device you are using? Are you referring to a code example or a custom project?

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

@user_4495571 ,

On the pin(s) in question, check to see if the "Suppress API Generation" is checked under the "Built-in" tab.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1695772209829.png

If checked, uncheck it.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

If you placed a UART component (with pins included) into your design, by default the UART TX and RX pins will have "Suppress API Generation" checked.

KyTr_1955226_0-1695838842372.png

This is generally what you would want, since you want the UART to have control of these pins and wouldn't typically want to mess around with them with the port API while the UART is trying to drive them.  I don't actually know what happens if you try to do so.  I'd imagine the UART will constantly be re-asserting control of the pin while the UART is enabled.  On the other hand I've used PIC MCUs that only take control of TX during transmissions and give control back to the port output latch when done transmitting.