measure of current consumption of CY8CKIT - 059

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AA29
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello to everyone,

I would like to measure the current consumption of my microcontroller during both normal power mode and alternate active mode to confront how much the power saving is.

I know there is an Excel file that let you estimate the total current consumption, but it is not what I want. I would like to measure the real current and I do not know how to do. If I have to use a multimeter, where have I to put the probes? Otherwise, is there some code that let me access this measurement?

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

In KIT-59 kit guide, section 4.2.3.1, describes how to measure the 5LP current.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

AA29,

Are you currently using a Cypress eval or kit board?  If so, Cypress provided a simple method to measure current.

To measure the current, you need to insert an ammeter (using an DMM in current measurement mode) between power input and the VDD to the PSoC and all other external circuits attached to VDD.

Normally the following is the method used to power the PSoC:  VDD connects to VDDD, VDDA, VDDIO0, VDDIO1, VDDIO2, and VDDIO3.

If you happen to be using VBAT in your design (using a battery to power your circuit with the BoostConverter), then VBAT generates VBOOST (aka VB) which connects to VDDD, VDDA, VDDIO0, VDDIO1, VDDIO2, and VDDIO3.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

Thanks Len_CONSULTRON for your answer. I attach a photo of the component I'm using because I do not know if it is eval or kit board.

In particular, I would like to measure the total current, not only the one that goes to the external component but also the current in the CPU (I have read that during alternate active mode the CPU does not work, so I would like to see the difference in current consumption).IMG_0239.JPG

0 Likes

Hello.

In KIT-59 kit guide, section 4.2.3.1, describes how to measure the 5LP current.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you for the help

0 Likes

AA29,

Your thread title says: "measure of current consumption of CY8CKIT - 059" [Sound of the palm of my hand hitting my forehead!]  Of course you're using the CY8CKIT-059 kit board.

I can see by your picture that you are powering the kit board by through the VDD (and GND) pins .  Here is an annotated clip of your picture.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1640091828799.png

If you want to measure just the current of the PSoC you can insert the current probes between the PSoC GND connection and the "GND to PSoC".

If you want to measure the current of the PSoC and external circuits, insert the current probes between the "VDD in"  and the insertion point on the breadboard to VDD.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

Thanks for the help

0 Likes