Why is PSoC 5/5LP considered "legacy" by Infineon?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RichardW
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

I have found myself with a problem that seems to be more easily solvable with PSoC 5, but not with 4 or 6 due to just enough UDBs and much more capable analog side, which is crucial. I was almost ready to jump into the ecosystem, but I've noticed that PSoC 4 and 6 are listed "normally", while 5 has been moved to "legacy" section, but I cannot seem to find any document marking this series as obsolete or NRFND. Is PSoC 5 a good choice for new design, or should I look for something else that has similar analog capabilities?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Richard,

Reusing our previous response on a similar thread,

I agree 'Legacy' is not the right term to use. I had a chat with marketing teams about the roadmap and supply commitments on PSoC5LP. There is no plan to obsolete PSoC5LP at any point in time. The expectation is to support the part at least for this decade (2030). 

The term legacy may be used because of fundamental change in architecture in the next generation of products. The PSoC6 has a much more modular architecture than the customizable architecture in the PSoC5LP. Also we have invested in new software environment of ModusToolBox. 

We totally understand the benefits and flexibility of PSoC5LP and we will continue to support the same to help get your designs in. The team is also there to help you migrate to newer devices retaining almost all features of PSoC Creator ( UDB cough - may be not as of now).

One additional thing to add here is the firmware support and bug fixes for the product can take higher time than expected. You can keep this also in mind. But as PSoC 5 ecosystem being matured over last few years, the chances of encountering such issues are very less.

Meanwhile if your application can be implemented in PSoC4/6 devices, we would recommend to do that. If at all it is not portable, as there are no devices matching the analog capabilities of PSoC5, you could continue using that too.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Richard,

Reusing our previous response on a similar thread,

I agree 'Legacy' is not the right term to use. I had a chat with marketing teams about the roadmap and supply commitments on PSoC5LP. There is no plan to obsolete PSoC5LP at any point in time. The expectation is to support the part at least for this decade (2030). 

The term legacy may be used because of fundamental change in architecture in the next generation of products. The PSoC6 has a much more modular architecture than the customizable architecture in the PSoC5LP. Also we have invested in new software environment of ModusToolBox. 

We totally understand the benefits and flexibility of PSoC5LP and we will continue to support the same to help get your designs in. The team is also there to help you migrate to newer devices retaining almost all features of PSoC Creator ( UDB cough - may be not as of now).

One additional thing to add here is the firmware support and bug fixes for the product can take higher time than expected. You can keep this also in mind. But as PSoC 5 ecosystem being matured over last few years, the chances of encountering such issues are very less.

Meanwhile if your application can be implemented in PSoC4/6 devices, we would recommend to do that. If at all it is not portable, as there are no devices matching the analog capabilities of PSoC5, you could continue using that too.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes