Which PSoC family for new design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Julien1138
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to choose a PSoC component for a new design and I'm a little lost with all the PSoC families.
I need a co-processor (no need for high processing capabilities), ultra-low power, to interface with all kinds of sensors, so I need configurable analog and digital blocks.

Are old components like PSoC 3 still a good option ? Aren't PSoC 5 or 6 overkill ?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Yes, you can go ahead with the PSoC 4 Analog Co Processors if that suits your need.
You can take a look at the PSoC Analog Coprocessor: CY8C4Axx Family Datasheet

If you want a more rich analog feature set you will have to opt for PSoC 5 devices.

Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @Julien1138 ,

We do not recommend the use of PSoC 3 but you can instead go for PSoC 4200 which I believe will satisfy your needs.

Please have a look at our PSoC 4200-L series device data sheet.
It is low power with programmable analog and digital blocks and comes with standard communication blocks like I2C , SPI etc for interfacing sensors.

Hope this helps
Regards
Alen 

Julien1138
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much.

I can eliminate PSoC 3.

However, it seems PSoC 4 is not as rich in terms of available analog components. No PGA or DAC for example.
The sensors I intend to interface are all analog (thermistors, RTD, 4-20mA, pressure to voltage...). And an other thing is that I need small form factor.

Based on what you suggested, I'm thinking PSoC Analog Coprocessor. Is it suitable for new designs ?

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Yes, you can go ahead with the PSoC 4 Analog Co Processors if that suits your need.
You can take a look at the PSoC Analog Coprocessor: CY8C4Axx Family Datasheet

If you want a more rich analog feature set you will have to opt for PSoC 5 devices.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
Julien1138
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you !

Have a nice day.

0 Likes