Updates on PSoC 5 Mass Storage Programming?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dazi_1435086
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

I was hoping that I could use mass storage programming mode with the KitProg on a CY8CKIT-059 board to program the target PSoC 5. I'm using the board as the low-level controller inside a prototype robot, and re-programming it requires some inconvenient disassembly. The next revision of the prototype also has a Raspberry Pi connected to the outside world with either WiFi or wired Ethernet.

The initial announcement of mass storage programming mode suggested it would be cross-platform (After I've tried and failed, I see in other materials that it probably isn't supported on Linux). I thought maybe I could plug the CY8CKIT-059 into the Raspberry Pi, copy the new .hex files over the network, to a holding folder on the Pi, and then copy them to the KitProg "drive" to update the robot firmware.

I tried it and it doesn't work.

Directly after mounting the KitProg (v2.18) mass storage device:

pastedImage_0.png

After copying the .hex file to the KitProg mounted drive:

pastedImage_1.png

However, I get the same error and failed programming with drag-and-drop in mass storage mode on Windows, and clearly the note states that mass storage mode only works with PSoC 4.

So I'd be interested in knowing:

• Is there any update or timeline for adding PSoC 5 support to KitProg mass storage mode so that it can be used on the CY8CKIT-059?
  • Is this definitely the problem here? (i.e. should it be impossible to use mass storage mode with a CY8CKIT-059 on Windows as well?)
  • Given that  the failure on Linux appears to be identical to the failure on Windows, will mass storage mode work for loading firmware to the device from Linux if PSoC5 support is added?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello,

PSoC3 based programming should work on Linux.

However as mentioned in Re: Using mass storage for device programming?

https://community.cypress.com/message/152967?et=watches.email.thread#152967  PSoC5 support is not available.

Thanks,

Hima

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Are you facing issue only when trying to program P5LP ? Please try with PSoC4.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

Sorry, I don't have a PSoC 4 available.

I have a custom circuit board in my prototype that the CY8CKIT-059 plugs into so that I can avoid soldering the PSoC chips in prototyping.

Is the CY8CKIT-043 the same physical dimensions? Looks like it, will check the pinout. If my code can run on the PSoC 4 then maybe this could be an option.

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

PSoC3 based programming should work on Linux.

However as mentioned in Re: Using mass storage for device programming?

https://community.cypress.com/message/152967?et=watches.email.thread#152967  PSoC5 support is not available.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes