Unable to program custom PCB PSoC 5LP using miniprog3 10 pins connection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi All,

I had custom PCB with CY8C5868AXI-LP035. I programmed CY8CKIT-50 using miniprog3 with success. When I connected miniprog3 10 pins config to custom PCB, the target is detected but the programming fails with the message "Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: Connection with device lost during programming. Verify the device is connected and try again". I have checked the voltage levels at all the power pins which is stable 3.3V and 1.8V on VCCA & VCCD. I had set the voltages to the power pins to 3.3V in the system page of Design wide resources. Please find the attachment containing PCB gerber, schematic, detection image, error image,  and project files. Appreciate any assistance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

For those of you who are building custom PCBs with PSoC 5LP and programming with Miniprog3, follow the design guidelines carefully. 

• Ensure that the capacitors are as per recommendation across power lines VDDD(UPTO 5.5V), VDDA(UPTO 5.5V), VCCA(1.8), VCCD(1.8)
  •     
  • For the first time programming, try with "Reset Mode" and short the nXRES(Pin no. 15) OF PSoC with the /XRES(Pin no. 10) of Miniprog3  using a wire or jumper(not necessary to short forever)
  •     
  • Once the programming is successful,  you can remove short and programming will be as any usual PSoC kit/Dvk
  •     
  • If the programming is failing then remove the "Use optional XRES" under systems in Design Wide Resources of your project.
  •    

For the first time programming, PSoC's XRES has to be used. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Do you have all the required decoupling caps (as required by the data sheet), close to the chip? You should verify with a scope that none of the supply voltages drops during programming.

0 Likes
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4

Did you mean even Vtarg? Except Vtarg, all other voltages are consistent with the specification. During programming, Vtarg voltage toggles between zero and 3.3V.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Please check whether the XRES pin on the test board was connected properly  or not.

Please tell your observation with Reset mode of programming and the Power Cycle mode of programming

I suggest you to use the latest PSOC Creator4.0 UP1 available here-

http://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

0 Likes
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I checked that the XRES pin is connected to the switch and the voltage is also 3.3V. After installing the latest version, both the modes(Reset and Power cycle) are resulting in the same error.  "Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: Connection with device lost during programming. Verify the device is connected and try again".

I was able to program the CY8CKIT-50B in Reset mode but not with power cycle mode.

0 Likes
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

For those of you who are building custom PCBs with PSoC 5LP and programming with Miniprog3, follow the design guidelines carefully. 

• Ensure that the capacitors are as per recommendation across power lines VDDD(UPTO 5.5V), VDDA(UPTO 5.5V), VCCA(1.8), VCCD(1.8)
  •     
  • For the first time programming, try with "Reset Mode" and short the nXRES(Pin no. 15) OF PSoC with the /XRES(Pin no. 10) of Miniprog3  using a wire or jumper(not necessary to short forever)
  •     
  • Once the programming is successful,  you can remove short and programming will be as any usual PSoC kit/Dvk
  •     
  • If the programming is failing then remove the "Use optional XRES" under systems in Design Wide Resources of your project.
  •    

For the first time programming, PSoC's XRES has to be used. Hope this helps.

0 Likes