USBUART driver for Windows 10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShM_1238346
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I do have an Qt application which communicates with PSoC5 chip through the USBUART.

I have been using Windows 7 for long time and didn't had any issue with the USBUART_cdc.inf.

In Windows 10 the driver is getting installed automatically.

I am seeing issue with the communication in the Windows 10 laptop.

The same Qt application runs fine on the Windows 7.

How can the USBUART driver issue be fixed in Windows 10?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello

The issue is because Windows 7 works with unsigned drivers for USB UART. However, Windows 10 supports only signed drivers.

You can download Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver from the link below and the application should work fine.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/microsoft-certified-usb-uart-driver

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hi Ekta,

I tried the Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver from the link you provided.It didn't work on Windows 10 PC.

Even after installing the signed driver, the PC was taking Microsoft driver. The driver had to be updated manually.

I tried using the Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver on Windows 7, but  it didn't work either. When I rolled back to the unsigned driver in Windows 7, things worked as expected.

Thanks

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello,

Can you please attach your project, so that, we can try running the application on Windows 10 and 7 and update you accordingly.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hi Ekta,
I can share the project but it wont be useful. There is definitely something in the USBUART driver.

The following is the snapshot of the comparison of the data received on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

As said earlier there is no issue with the unsigned driver in Windows 7.

If you observe the comparison snapshot, sometimes the packet received are not in correct sequence.

In WIndows 10, the driver gets detected automatically.

Is there a correct sequence of installing the signed Cypress driver?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello Shyam,

Sharing the project will help us to get a better insight of the issue and recreate the problem.

Please have a look at the following thread: Use of the Cypress Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver

Also can you please check the KBA: Binding a USB-Serial Device to a Microsoft® CDC Driver – KBA91366

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes