USBIO pins - CAN bus?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We routed a board using the USBIO pins for the CAN RX and TX lines not realizing that those pins can only be set as Strong Drive or Open Drain, Drives Low. It looks like the RX pin for CAN has to be high impedance digital. 

Is there any work around to this? I don't think there is but I figured if anyone knew it would be the users here. I tried running it out and back in through 2 extra pins we ran out but that didn't work. 

We will have to remake the boards anyways but it would be nice if it could get working without a wire soldered on to test the rest of the functionality.

Thanks for any insight! The device is a PSoC 5LP CY8C5888LTI-LP097

Jeff Schultz

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Jeff.

No chance to use P15_6 and P15_7 (USB dedicated) pins for CAN. You will have your board modified to test it (cut wires, solder bridges... ah1 I really like that!!!)  <-pure sarcasm!

You will need CAN bus drivers and receivers to confirm to the electrical specifications.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Jeff.

No chance to use P15_6 and P15_7 (USB dedicated) pins for CAN. You will have your board modified to test it (cut wires, solder bridges... ah1 I really like that!!!)  <-pure sarcasm!

You will need CAN bus drivers and receivers to confirm to the electrical specifications.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roger that, that was the conclusion we came to as well. Luckily we had some headers drawn out that we were able to use to make sure everything else is functional.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the response.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You're always welcome!

Bob

0 Likes