USB problem with CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit 1.0 Rev.*A

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
anpi_1343696
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

First of all, I think the CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit  is amazing and the documentation and videos are fantastic. I am sold on this processor and look forward to many new designs with PSoC4 chips.

I have both the BLE Pioneer kit and the CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit. My problem is with the latter:

CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit 1.0 Rev.*B

CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit 1.0 Rev.*A

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro system and the version 3.1 SP3 of the Creator software.

I was able to program the  CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 via a USB cable or by plugging it into a USB port in the front of my computer. After about 6-8 times, however, I started to get the ""Unable to read data from target device" error message while pushing new code in to the kit.

I am detailing all of the steps that I have taken to try and remedy this problem and to date, I cannot get around the issue. I am going to just work with the BLE pioneer kit for now, but it is a shame as I like the smaller kit for quick prototyping.

1. First of all. I thought it was a dirty or unconductive cable so I switched to several known good cables and several known good USB ports on the computer with the same results.

2. I completely removed the USB driver using USBDeview. I then installed the latest "Microsoft Signed Drivers" from the Cypress web site.

3. I then plugged the Kit back in and saw that Windows installed it as Com Port 6 - see screenshots.

4. There are no errors and yellow triangles on the USB driver in the Control Panel

5. When I try to use the USB Host program, I continue to get the "Unable to read data" error message.

6. I opened a brand new kit, as I ordered several and I get the same message.

7. At this point, I think it is a driver issue, but not sure what else to do as I have uninstalled and reinstalled (with clean reboots in between) and nothing seems to make Windows happy.

Attached is a PDF with various screenshots.

Any ideas of other things I can try?

0 Likes
3 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Not sure if this will help (from another thread) -

Hi folks,

Another newb here, but with some help from other forum members (many thanks to Dana and Bob) I've made it over the hump and am happily programming my $4 PSoC. The biggest problem you face is that most iof the introductory material is geared toward the Pioneer board and things are different with the prototyping kit. But Cypress is putting together material for us and it is helpful to know where to find it. Check out the videos posted recently: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=107124&cache=0&source=creatorStartPage And the front page on my PSoC creator has links to a couple projects specific to this board (probably because I downloaded it from the page for the prototyping kit.)

Here are the things I had to learn to get going :

• Ignore the examples found in File->Example Project... for now. They will be useful once you know what you're doing.
  •     
  • Understand that you must produce bootloadable projects in order to load them using the bootloader host.
  •     
  • The Program button is no use to us. That's for the Pioneer (and maybe other programmers.) Go to tools->Bootloader Host instead.
  •     
  • Do remember to hold the button when you insert the board into a USB port! (There's a project to get to the bootloader another way that is covered in the videos above.)
  •    

Good luck and enjoy!

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi,

While building the bootloadable project you need to link it to the default bootloader.hex file.This .hex file is available with the kit installation files

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
anpi_1343696
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Thanks everyone, the problem has been resolved. I cleared the drivers and reinstalled everything and it seems to be working fine.

For anyone else with similar issues, be sure and download the latest drivers and ensure that the baud rate for the COM port to the CY8CKIT-049 is set correctly at 115200, 8,N,1.

0 Likes