Trying to configure the OpAmp for Mode:OpAmp and Mode:Follower at run-time

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hi,

I'm a seasoned PSoC application designer.  I'm using a PSoC 5LP.  I have an application that uses the OpAmp v1.90.

Most of the time I need to configure the OpAmp with a mode = OpAmp.  The '-' input is routed to an external pin of a current sense resistor.  However due to the < 1Meg ohm input impedance (observed but not specified in the datasheet), I cannot resolve to < 30uA of current due to the extra draw and resultant noise.

If I "hard" configure the mode = Follower, I can resolve very low currents to ~ 1uA with much lower noise.

I want to configure the OpAmp to mode = OpAmp in the TopDesign and switch to mode=Follower in the code at run0time when needing to resolve to 1uA.  I can operate at the register level if needed but it would be nice if there were some API calls to provide this.

Note:  I tried using a analog mux external to the OpAmp to perform this desired function.  I noticed many problems doing this successfully and had to abandon the attempt.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

In CYWDR you can see the switch address which enables the follower mode if you hover over the switch. Try writing this register run time.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Len,

can you explain how you measure 1uA current in Follower mode?

/odissey1

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

odissey1,

The Opamp is being used as the power stimulus for the current sense circuit.  When the stimulus is used in one mode (full scale range 0 to 20mA), I need +/- 100uA accuracy (Mode:OpAmp with an external pin connected to the '-' input).  In another mode (Mode: Follower with NO external pin connection to '-' input), I need +/-1uA accuracy (full scale range 0 to 1.4mA).  I can get this 1uA accuracy if I force this mode to Mode: Follower.  I'm looking for a means to switch this Opamp mode setting on-the-fly at run-time to improve performance in the needed mode.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Len, I was hoping for a schematic, I can only guess about arrangement. Can you add a follower in front of "-" input of the opamp to serve as high-impedance input buffer?

Regarding the register access. I would file a case with Cypress support. But i wouldn't be much optimistic about their answer.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Here's two configurations I'm writing about.  Each works to the accuracy I need if I 'hard' compile the schematic.

pastedImage_1.png

Len

Len
0 Likes

Len,

I would try to add a buffer in the feedback path, which should eliminate effect of low input impedance of the Opamp_1.

CurrentMeter_01.png

0 Likes

user_342122993,

If I use the buffer (OpAmp_2) suggestion I run into the same issue since the input impedance of Opamp_1 '-' terminal is the same as the impedance of Opamp_2 '+' terminal (Note: The input impedance of these terminals are not specified by Cypress.  They spec line exists but no value is stated).  Additionally if I use another buffer between port P_2, it is prone to potential error due to gain and input offset errors.  Therefore the output of Opamp_2 would be less accurate.

It comes to the idea that need a minimum of 4Meg input impedance in the mode when I want to measure 1uA resolution.  Removing the internal connection to P_2 and configuring Opamp_1 to mode=Follower works because the P_2 has more than 4Meg isolation to the '-' terminal of Opamp_1 in this configuration.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Hi,

In CYWDR you can see the switch address which enables the follower mode if you hover over the switch. Try writing this register run time.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

user_411084576,

Thank you.  I've done what you suggested.  In addition, I needed to disconnect a switch previously connected to the '-' terminal as well otherwise the terminal is connected to two analog sources.

Len

Len
0 Likes