Serial F-RAM (FM25VN10-G) used as a LVGL GUI buffer with PSoC5LP?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaKrst
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello there,

I would like to know is there a way to use serial type of memory with PSoC5 MCU's EMIF component. In one of my earlier posts I managed to run LVGL GUI on PSoC5 platform, so now I would like to use external RAM for display buffer as it is supported by LVGL. By reading a datasheet for EMIF I concluded that it's intended to be used with memories that use some sort of parallel interface. If that is the case, is there a way to use serial RAM with PSoC5 as a graphics buffer or is that only possible on PSoC6 series of MCU's with SMIF component?

Just to mention that I have no experience with EMIF or external memories so any help would be nice, and I'm sorry if my post is a bit of a mess.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi DheerajK_81​,

Thanks for the reply. By doing some more research I found this code example​(CE204087) which I think should work with FM25V10 memory.

After looking upon EMIF example I'm wondering if it would be possible to use nvRAM/F-RAM component from the example that I mentioned with external RAM address range or that is reserved only for EMIF component?

Thank you,

Sava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Yes you're right about EMIF, it is a parallel interface. If you are looking for a serial interface implementation, please refer to this: https://www.cypress.com/file/380711/download

To know more about the EMIF component, the code example should serve as a good reference: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce95312-external-memory-interface-emif-psoc-35lp

Note that it is a quad spi based implementation, and won't be supported for the memory chip you are using. You can just make use of this as a reference.

We unfortunately, do not have any component to help with this like we have SMIF in the PSoC6. You need to make use of SPI component and write all the routines.

Let me know if you have any further queries!

Regards,
Dheeraj

Hi DheerajK_81​,

Thanks for the reply. By doing some more research I found this code example​(CE204087) which I think should work with FM25V10 memory.

After looking upon EMIF example I'm wondering if it would be possible to use nvRAM/F-RAM component from the example that I mentioned with external RAM address range or that is reserved only for EMIF component?

Thank you,

Sava

0 Likes
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello Sava,

The code example should work with your memory chip with little modifications based on the density and frequency. According to the datasheet for your chip you can operate at speeds upto 40MHz. The addresses are accessed using the SPI protocol, which includes a chip select (to permit multiple devices on the bus), an op-code, and a three-byte address. The complete address of 17-bits specifies each byte address uniquely.

You don't need to use EMIF component since you require an SPI interface.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes