Sequencing ADC offset and/or gain

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1669321
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

I'm using a sequencing ADC offset in differential mode, with internal ±1.024V as reference, running at 1000KHz, 8 channels, and 12 bits resolution.

What is the best way to calibrate the gain and/or offset? I read in the datasheet that the gain is computed with adcGain = adcCounts * 10 / Volts, but this value I get varies largely from one input to the other. By doing an average, I get an offset on some channels up to 40mV. At low levels, though (~100mV), the offset is ~1mV. The large offsets are when the input is at 0.9V.

For the offset, the datasheet says to "short all inputs together". Should I also connect them to ground?

What's the best way to go about this problem?

Thank you,

Fred

0 Likes
1 Solution

Fred,

why not to use DelSig_ADC with AMux to measure all voltages in the system (batteries, thermistors, etc.)? DelSig_ADC has high-impedance input buffer, high accuracy, 10kHz in 16-bit single point measurement. I see that you are using it for Thermistor measurement already. I would measure all voltages in a simple loop, e.g. at 100Hz repetition rate (per channel). Quite enough for thermistor and batteries.

/odissey1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Fred,

isn't 1000kHz (1MHz aggregate) sampling rate is too fast for sequencing ADC? Keep in mind that cross-talk between channels will be huge at this sample rate. Resulting accuracy will likely be less than 8-bit.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hi odissey1,

1000KHz is the minimum for the Sequential ADC component.

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Fred,

Are you talking about a one-time calibration that has a required user-input or a run-time auto-recalibration?

Note: Many times you can get away with one gain and offset calibration for the entire ADC as long as the output impedance of the signals you're measure is at least 100 ohms or lower.  If the signal has a higher impedance then the routing resistance to the mux and input to the ADC becomes significant.  If this is the case, then you may have to perform a gain and offset on each channel.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

I was talking more about a one-time calibration.

I'm measuring the voltage of 4 Li-ion batteries (4.2V) through a voltage divider of 75k/24k. Would the voltage divider be the reason of the offset because of the high impedance?

Moreover, with Odissey1's comment, I tested that when disconnecting/reconnecting a battery, it affected the voltage read on the adjacent channels, so there is probably crosstalk as well. Would the solution be to use a non-sequencing ADC with a mux controlled manually?

Thank you,

Fred

0 Likes

Fred,

Keep in mind that input impedance of the ADC_SAR is low (approx. 20k), which is comparable with your voltage divider. You may consider adding  buffer Opamp in front of ADC_SAR. (FYI, PSoC5 Opamps have inp impedance approx. 1M - not much room either).

/odissey1

0 Likes

This is not possible as the analog resources are maxed out (1 Sequential ADC with 8 differential channels + 1 sequential ADC with 4 single-ended channels).

0 Likes

Fred,

I haven't checked the code of the Sequencing SAR component.  It might be not maximizing AMUX isolation during the switch.

Two suggestions:

1. Use a separate Amux component in front of the ADC with maximum isolation.

2. Lower the sampling frequency.  Determine if you REALLY need that fast of a sampling.

/odissey1 is correct that the Opamp input is a significantly higher impedance. Caution: Opamp have their own potential gain and offset issues.  The nice thing is that if you have the Opamp between the AMux and the ADC, then when you perform a gain and offset calibration, this should take the Opamp and ADC G&O into account at the same time.  You are effectively calibrating the entire chain.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hi Len,

I don't need 1MHz (I need one sample per second), but 1MHz is the minimum frequency allowed for the ADC component.

I cannot add an op-amp as the analog resources are maxed out and the analog placement routine doesn't converge when I add an op-amp.

I guess my only option is to use a non-sequencing ADC and manually mux the input.

0 Likes

Fred,

why not to use DelSig_ADC with AMux to measure all voltages in the system (batteries, thermistors, etc.)? DelSig_ADC has high-impedance input buffer, high accuracy, 10kHz in 16-bit single point measurement. I see that you are using it for Thermistor measurement already. I would measure all voltages in a simple loop, e.g. at 100Hz repetition rate (per channel). Quite enough for thermistor and batteries.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Great idea, I will try it!

0 Likes