Separated Psoc 5 stick and Serial communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JulianLBTK
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 likes given 5 sign-ins

Hi community, currently I am using the PSoC 5LP Prototyping Kit and its UART Module to send characters through serial port to my PC and checking the characters in Termite, the question is: If I cut in two pieces the PSoC5 LP stick, I mean, if I separate the KitProg and the Target Device away and connected  the 5 middle pins (SWDIO, SWDCLK, RESET, GND, VTARG) with wires, could I be able to continue using the Termite terminal in my computer once separated? Or am I going to lose that feature?

I hope you understand, my respects Julian.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Julian,

As  and  indicated, breaking the two boards apart you will lose the UART function since those signals (P12.7 Tx and P12.6 Rx) cross over between the boards but are NOT apart of the 5 signals in the header.

As indicated, these signals can be restored by placing wiring on the header locations on the edge of the boards.

Here is a picture of the 059 board and the minimum needed connections in RED.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1668520042678.png

If you're going to separate the two boards (which I do on a regular basis). I then place code on the target board to use the board's USB port using the USB_UART component.  This would allow you to use Termite with this port without needing the extra connections listed above.

If you're not familiar with coding the USB_UART component in project, I've provided a new component called "Term".  It has two advantages. I uses the standard UART API calls that you already use on your current project (little to no code changes).  It also allows you to change which type of UART comm port to use at design time.  In other words, you can chose the standard UART or the USB_UART.

Here is a link to the archive of Term component code you can use in your project.

Terminal-Support-Component-Library 

Go to the very bottom of the thread.  It has the latest official release (v1.4).

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

7 Replies
pacr_284376
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 10 solutions authored 50 sign-ins

There are more signals lines than the signals on those headers at the breakpoint.  But you can 'restore' them via extra wire bridges. See CY8CKIT-059 diagram for more details. 

Sidramesh_S
250 sign-ins 100 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Hi @JulianLBTK ,

Yes, it should work and You will not lose that feature.

I executed a program by connecting kitprog separately with the 5 middle pins (SWDIO, SWDCLK, RESET, GND, VTARG) of CY8CKIT-059 PSoC 5LP has  CY8C588LTI-LP097 MCU and I am able to view the data on the Serial terminal.

Thanks and regards,
Sidramesh

Hello Sidramesh.

Can you provide details of how you changed SWD signals into UART TX/RX signals?

Hi @BiBi_1928986 ,

In that response, I have provided a partial solution which created confusion. I also made the below connections along with SWD signals.
Kitprog       Target
12.7 TX --> 12.6 RX
12.6 RX <-- 12.7 TX 

Regards,
Sidramesh

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

Yes, you can snap off Kitprog from KIT-059 and still have access to UART feature.  The 5 thru-holes (where you snap the board off) are for SWD programming.  You can put headers in these holes for re-attaching to the target 5LP when needed.

For restoring the UART function, make the following connections along the edge of circuit boards:
Kitprog       Target
12.7 TX --> 12.6 RX
12.6 RX <-- 12.7 TX
GND     ---> GND
Vtarg   ---> Vtarg

Good luck with your project.

Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Julian,

As  and  indicated, breaking the two boards apart you will lose the UART function since those signals (P12.7 Tx and P12.6 Rx) cross over between the boards but are NOT apart of the 5 signals in the header.

As indicated, these signals can be restored by placing wiring on the header locations on the edge of the boards.

Here is a picture of the 059 board and the minimum needed connections in RED.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1668520042678.png

If you're going to separate the two boards (which I do on a regular basis). I then place code on the target board to use the board's USB port using the USB_UART component.  This would allow you to use Termite with this port without needing the extra connections listed above.

If you're not familiar with coding the USB_UART component in project, I've provided a new component called "Term".  It has two advantages. I uses the standard UART API calls that you already use on your current project (little to no code changes).  It also allows you to change which type of UART comm port to use at design time.  In other words, you can chose the standard UART or the USB_UART.

Here is a link to the archive of Term component code you can use in your project.

Terminal-Support-Component-Library 

Go to the very bottom of the thread.  It has the latest official release (v1.4).

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
JulianLBTK
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 likes given 5 sign-ins

I really appreciate you guys for giving me a bit of your time, thanks to all of you for the inmmediate answers. My respects, Julian.

0 Likes