Sensorless Field oriented control

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was referring to one of the following documents AN93637 - PSoC® 4 Sensorless Field-Oriented Control (FOC) | Cypress Semiconductor

My main doubt is whether the Sensorless FOC applicable to BLDC motors as well? I assume that BLDC motors are different from PMSM motors in terms of Back EMF for the former it is Trapezoidal and for the later it is sinusoidal. Please help.

1 Solution
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi,

Ideally you will never get actual trapezoidal waveform[with proper edge] out of a BLDC.

As the wiring get better the motor become more FOC from BLDC.

For BLDC motors recommended algorithm is to use Back emf method for sensorless [simple algorithm and circuitry as well] approach. The FOC algorithm can probably make the motor run but wouldn't get any FOC specific features.

AN93637 PSoC 4 Sensorless Field-Oriented Control (FOC).zip (PSoC Creator 3.1)

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an93637-psocr-4-sensorless-field-oriented-con...

Here in this zip you can find example for BackEmf method as well.

Jobin GT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi,

Ideally you will never get actual trapezoidal waveform[with proper edge] out of a BLDC.

As the wiring get better the motor become more FOC from BLDC.

For BLDC motors recommended algorithm is to use Back emf method for sensorless [simple algorithm and circuitry as well] approach. The FOC algorithm can probably make the motor run but wouldn't get any FOC specific features.

AN93637 PSoC 4 Sensorless Field-Oriented Control (FOC).zip (PSoC Creator 3.1)

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an93637-psocr-4-sensorless-field-oriented-con...

Here in this zip you can find example for BackEmf method as well.

Jobin GT

0 Likes