SPDIF Transmitter but no SPDIF receiver?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's great that the PSoC 3 has an SPDIF transmitter component, but there is no SPDIF receiver component. I'm currently designing a project that will use 2 PSoC 3's communicating audio data and protocol data on an SPDIF connection. My current solution will have to use an SPDIF receiver chip off chip to demodulate and decode the SPDIF data to feed the other PSoC 3 using the I2S component, strip my protocol data and feed the audio data into a 16 bit DAC. There is currently a dedicated stand alone LSI chip to accomplish the demodulation and decoding, but it would be much simpler if there was an SPDIF receiver component. I thought about building one from scratch using Verilog, but it's not trivial, and it would be much more economical to just purchase an off the shelf solution. There are a few implementations 'out there' on the web for an SPDIF receiver, but the ones I've found are built with VHDL, so I'd have to convert it and they all have known issues with certain parts of the structure. Then I'd have to use an external simulator to verify the design...

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

anks, IIRC some time ago there was a PSoC Sensei Blog that detailed how to create a custom component. I'm not sure what the component was. It might have been for an SPDIF Receiver...it was a few years ago. I had bookmarked it, due to interest in the component, but when I went to it recently the bookmark no longer worked and a search on those terms didn't reveal any more info. Do you know of a link that might provide any connection to that?

Edit: I found the link I was referring to: http://www.cypress.com/blog/psoc-sensei-blog?page=3

It was for a high speed UART. I will reference that as a starting point if I decide to create my own SPDIF receiver.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

You can refer to "Component Author Guide" available in the Help section Creator to understand the Custom component creation process for PSoC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply anks. I've used the Component Author Guide and have created a few custom components already. I'm asking why hasn't Cypress created the complement for the SPDIF transmitter. Due to the complexity of the component, I could go through the process of creating a custom implementation, but there are off the shelf LSI implementations for a little more than a dollar that makes doing all that work unnecessary.

0 Likes

Currently, there is no plan to create SPDIF Receiver component for PSoC3

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

anks, IIRC some time ago there was a PSoC Sensei Blog that detailed how to create a custom component. I'm not sure what the component was. It might have been for an SPDIF Receiver...it was a few years ago. I had bookmarked it, due to interest in the component, but when I went to it recently the bookmark no longer worked and a search on those terms didn't reveal any more info. Do you know of a link that might provide any connection to that?

Edit: I found the link I was referring to: http://www.cypress.com/blog/psoc-sensei-blog?page=3

It was for a high speed UART. I will reference that as a starting point if I decide to create my own SPDIF receiver.