Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the following Kits :

CY8CKIT-001
CY8CKIT-030
CYC8KIT-050

There is a problem with Hardware Handshaking in that the CTS/RTS pins are swapped on the development kits.
This is a hardware/PCB error on the circuit boards and can only be fixed by a wiring change.

There are two workarounds to this problem :

1) Don't use hardware handshaking, select software handshaking (3 wire protocol) only.

2) Wire a DB-9 Female to DB-9 Male adaptor plug with the following pinout :

2 -> 2
2 -> 3
7 -> 8
8 -> 7

There is also an issue in PSoC5 with clock frequency drfit at high baud rates.
Enable the External Crystal to act as your Baud rate source for stable communications.

regards,

Tom Moxon
www.moxon.com

www.westmarkco.com

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.

Yes, that PCB/Layout error took me a little head thumping to recognize.

Cypress seems to have cut-n-pasted it into their most recent CY8CKIT-030/050 boards as well.

The simple solution is to get yourself a solder end male DB-9 and solder end female DB-9

and solder up a little adaptor cable to fix this.  I have an example picture attached...

This is necessary to use any hardware handshaking.

best regards,

Tom Moxon

www.moxon.com

www.westmarkco.com

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction: Only the CY8CKIT-001 has this error. The CY8CKIT-030/050 boards have been corrected.

(I was looking at an older schematic....)

thanks,
Tom Moxon

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an ambiguity in the way the TX and RX pins are labelled, too. I would expect the TX pin (nect ro the RS232 port) to be the source and the RX pin to be the sink. However, it is the OTHER WAY AROUND. As a result I have to wire the PSOC's TX pin (say P1_6) to the TX pin and the RX to RX with is kinda non-intuitive...

~Abhijit

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Can you please review the suggested wire-connections?

The pin 2 is named twice in the left-hand column, probably the first line should read

3 -> 2 ???

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

We have a saying here (in Germany)

To connect 2 wires arbitrarily gives you a 50% chance to make it right. Statistics shows that these 50% are used up to nearly 100%.

(smiling broadly)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

my UART is not working on psoc CY8CKIT-001 development board..so UART-TX pgm is also nt working..wats the issue..where do u think is the problem..pgm is builded and debuged successfuly.bt uart is nt transmitting anything on hyperterminal..plz rply..

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Neha.

Please do not drop vocal letters, it is difficult enough for me to read pure English.

Are you wanting to have a "Real" RS232 interface including the requred signal level of +-12V connected to another RS232? Because interface pin numbers are not standardized you might need to swap Rx and Tx

Check schematic for the required GPIO pins and jumper them to the level shifter on your -001 board.

When just a serial UART interface using 3.3V or 5V (jumper setting for the board) signal level required you may use any pin combination you want getting the Rx and Tx off-board.

When still in question, supply your actual project. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes