Proposal: Put a PSoc in a couple more packaging styles (8PXI, 16PXI, 20PXI)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this. But I want to suggest to the product development folks to put the PSoC core of one of the devices such as the CY8C29466 into a couple more packaging styles. My first suggestion would be in a 8 pin PDIP, then maybe a 16 pin PDIP. This would help greatly in the upgrading of old designs and replacing competing "one of" parts such as individual modem or filter chips with a programmable replacement. It also would help the small developer do custom builds without having to deal with surface mount parts and being able to use solder on prototyping boards for testing.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

Mike:

First, the 29xxx die is too large to fit into an 8 pin DIP, it's simply to big for the leadframe. 27xxx does fit into DIP-8, it's a little smaller, that figures, it has about half of the memory.The guys who make these decisions figure that if you need the 29xxx for the blocks, then you also need the memory. If you just need the blocks and not the memory, go to 27xxx and save some money.

If you need 4 simultaneous ADCs, the 28xxx is the best choice, it has 4 decimators to do 4 delsig converters . . . plus capsense. Unfortunately, it's only available in an assortment of surface mount packages. I wrote the original spec for the 28xxx and wanted 28 pin DIP, but l lost that battle to the marketing guys.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will change the package choices for the legacy PSoC1 parts. I would love to have a range of 16,18, and 20 pin parts, but it ain't gonna happen.

---- Dennis Seguine, PSoC Apps

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

Mike:

First, the 29xxx die is too large to fit into an 8 pin DIP, it's simply to big for the leadframe. 27xxx does fit into DIP-8, it's a little smaller, that figures, it has about half of the memory.The guys who make these decisions figure that if you need the 29xxx for the blocks, then you also need the memory. If you just need the blocks and not the memory, go to 27xxx and save some money.

If you need 4 simultaneous ADCs, the 28xxx is the best choice, it has 4 decimators to do 4 delsig converters . . . plus capsense. Unfortunately, it's only available in an assortment of surface mount packages. I wrote the original spec for the 28xxx and wanted 28 pin DIP, but l lost that battle to the marketing guys.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will change the package choices for the legacy PSoC1 parts. I would love to have a range of 16,18, and 20 pin parts, but it ain't gonna happen.

---- Dennis Seguine, PSoC Apps

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dennis:

Thanks for the fast reply. Well we can dream can't we... I will hope that the engineering and marketing folks can see fit to keep at least one DIP version of the basic part even as the core evolves. For some purposes the SMD parts are just a pain to work with. When someone comes up with a simpler (cheaper) solution for putting the SMD devices on PC boards then the BIG clunky DIP-SMD zif sockets then the old solder thru hole method will not be needed any more.

Mike

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Here is a roadmap of the PSOC families, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike

are you a developer working with End Users of the Cypress PSOC product?  Would like to connect offline if you are available.  Thank you!

0 Likes