Programming a CY8CKIT-059 without the IDE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
david-given
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First solution authored

I've just released an open source project based around a CY8CKIT-059 (FluxEngine; it's a floppy disk drive controller). Currently I have to tell people to download and install PSoC Creator in order to build the firmware and program the board (using the KitProg).

I'd rather like to avoid this. I can provide a precompiled .hex file which people can program without needing to compile it themselves, but they still need a programmer. This only appears to be distributed alongside the IDE, so they still have to install that, which I'd like to avoid.

Is there a way to get either the just the Cypress programmer as an individual download? Or some other way of getting the .hex file onto the device? (Ideally a standalone open source programmer I could integrate into the rest of my software would be ideal...)

(BTW, mass storage programming doesn't support the PSoC5, which the CY8CKIT-059 is based around.)

0 Likes
1 Solution
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

PSoC Programmer can be found as a standalone download HERE.  However I think you need a cypress account to get at the download.

[EDIT]:

You may also want to have a look at THIS.  You could possibly write something yourself in .NET using the COM interface.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

PSoC Programmer can be found as a standalone download HERE.  However I think you need a cypress account to get at the download.

[EDIT]:

You may also want to have a look at THIS.  You could possibly write something yourself in .NET using the COM interface.

0 Likes

Yep, it needs a registration, which is a shame. But thanks --- that's pretty much what I was looking for.

Sadly the COM interface doesn't do anything for me as I can't use it without asking the user to install the programmer, at which point they now have the programmer and so don't need the COM interface!

0 Likes
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

HI,

and to implement a mass storage in your application? As kitprog2 works. The difference is that you need to develop two pieces of code more:

a) to work as mass storage (with a external flash working as HD)

b) code for auto programming

I've the same problem than you and I'm pondering it

Regards

Gil

0 Likes

I can, of course, implement a custom OTA firmware upgrade system into my firmware (which I do intend to do at some point), but that can't be used until it's been programmed at least once!

0 Likes