Programmer issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rasec_2385561
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I was having problems with the onboard programmer disappearing from my Windows device manager.

So at some point PSOC creator informed my I needed to upgrade the firmware on my

Cy8ckit-059 PSOC 5lp prototype kit. I did that successfully.

Now I am getting messages like this:

The run request failed. Encountered error

(Unable to acquire target device PSoC 5LP CY8C5888LT*-LP097: SWD error OK|WAIT|FAULT)

Any ideas ?

8 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

From the first line in your problem statement, are you saying that Kitprog enumeration isn't taking place? Do you see Kitprog listed under Ports in the Device Manager? If not, you will need to reinstall PSoC Programmer which will install all the drivers again.

Suppose Kitprog is in mass storage mode, you will see the status led blinking. Hold the reset button for more than 5s to put it back into programmer mode (LED will stop blinking) and then check if the enumeration happens.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I am saying that the Kitprog is frequently failing to in install the device driver. You can see a message that the driver has failed to

load correctly. Sometimes you can get it to load briefly, then later it fails again.

I updated PSOC Programmer before updating the firmware on the board yesterday. So if the drivers got updated they are still not loading properly. I just checked the device manager a moment ago and Kitprog is not loaded there.

When I have a good connection both lights are lite on the board.

Occasionally I see that there are no lights lite on the board. I believe this is just a bad USB connection and have moved it to a different USB port. After moving the board to a different port the Kitprog driver has loaded (version 1.2.3.3) in device manager.

I will watch it to see if moving to a different USB port fixes this. Are there any other things that should be checked on ?

0 Likes

You must see the status led (LED3) blinking or lit completely based on which mode you're on. If there are no lights ON, then the USB connection is loose or gone bad. Once you see Kitprog in the device manager, the port acquire should work correctly.

Hope you have downloaded and installed the setup present here: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-059-psoc-5lp-prototyping-kit-on...

It has the Kitprog User Guide present in the path: "%Install-Dir%/CY8CKIT-059/1.0/Documents/". Refer to the section Kitprog Status LED Indication (Page#45) for more information.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

This is what I am seeing now.

There was an error running port acquire: Failed to send packet (single) in SWD mode

Error: dbg.M0015: Debugger exited unexpectedly during run.  Encountered error (Target disconnected See output window for more information.)

Warning: dbg.M0039: There was an error running port acquire: Failed to send packet (single) in SWD mode

Warning: dbg.M0044: There was an error applying settings to the device.  The device may be in use by another application. Protocol not set

1. The two LEDs on the board are lite.

2. Windows device manager thinks Kitprog is healthy.

3. But PSoC Creator 4.1 fails to aquire the port.

No debugging going to happen now !can't connect to target.png

0 Likes

After reinstalling the software for the Cy8ckit-059 PSOC prototyping kit:

1. Windows device manager thinks the device driver is healthy.

2. I cleaned and built my application firmware.

3. I tried to select the debug target. The port acquasition failed.

4. Windows put up a message that the device driver did not install correctly.

5. Both lights on the board are lite.

6. I unplugged both USB connects to the board and reconnected them.

7. Windows still thinks everything is fine.

8. Got PSoC Creater to update the board's flash.

9. Tried to debug the firmware. PSoC Creator error message:

Debugger exited unexpectedly during run. Encountered error (Target disconnected See output window for more information.)

0 Likes

I'm pretty sure there is a loose connection causing the board to fail at programming/debugging stages. The error message "Target Disconnected" is usually a case of board loosing power due to an instable connection with the USB port.

Please ensure a stable connection and it should work fine.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I believe this is more tha a loose connection.

Windows device manager does not show the Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device.

I installed the device driver as cyusb3.sys  - model Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device.

I was able to debug a few lines before Windows threw up.

The debugging stopped on the line:

while(USBFS_deviceAddress == UnassignedAddress);

PSoC Creator message is display:

Debugger exited unexpectedly during run. Encountered error (Target disconnected See output window for more information.)

Windows device manager says the device is unknown.

One of the lights on the board was flashing rapidly.

I disconnected the board and then reconnected it to the PC.

I updated the driver on the unknown device to cyusb3.sys  - model Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device.

Windows device manager says the device has been stopped because it reported problems. (code 43)

I updated the driver on the unknown device to cyusb3.sys  - model Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device.

Windows device manager says the device has been stopped because it reported problems. (code 10)

Now the programmer has disappeared from the Windows device manager.

Windows device manager says the device has been stopped because it reported problems. (code 10)

Only one light is lite on the prototype board.

Windows device manager says the device has been stopped because it reported problems. (code 43)

device failure.png

0 Likes

I think you have corrupted the Kitprog. Please restore it to factory settings as mentioned in page#46 of the Kitprog user guide present in the path: "%Install-Dir%/CY8CKIT-059/1.0/Documents/" and then check if the acquire works.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes