Powering the psoc with a phone charger.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good night to everyone.

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask this, I'm sorry if it is not. Well, I'm working with the psoc 5LP which is awesome and my whole project is already working. During development I've been powering the psoc using the usb port of my computer and now I need to power it using something else because it is going to be inside a box and I don't want to buy a power supply and use the vdd pin and take the D1 diode as the manual says. So my question is, can I just plug in the board directly to a phone charger usb port to power the psoc? The output of the charger is 5V.  If my question was not very clear please let me knwo and i will try to explain better because english is not my first language. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A stable supply voltage can help to prevent errors and misbehave of the final product. A phone charger does not need to provide a very stable voltage, it even might exceed the 5V which is a no-go limit for a PSoC . I would suggest you to use one of the Raspberry PI power supplies which have a regulated 5V output available in different current versions.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

You should be able to power it with a phone charger if the Voltage is stable and not over 5 Volts and the phone charger has a very low ripple in the DC output.  One other question is do you have any 3.3 Volt devices in your project?  These wouldn't be able to stand the 5 Volt power supply. I would use a voltage regulator to protect your board and devices.

0 Likes
emen_2218296
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Yeah. Ripple could be a problem.See if it works using a good charger. I suggest using 5V, 1A phone charger rather than using a charger which you get now a days for faster charging with 2.1 A current. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A stable supply voltage can help to prevent errors and misbehave of the final product. A phone charger does not need to provide a very stable voltage, it even might exceed the 5V which is a no-go limit for a PSoC . I would suggest you to use one of the Raspberry PI power supplies which have a regulated 5V output available in different current versions.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to respond and the suggestions. I will take them into account.

Everything work with 5 volts on my proyect, I was afraid to plug in directly to the charger but now that i see your responses I'm gonna try it. In the future, I am gonna get one of the raspberry pi power supplies that Bob recommended since i am running out of time and where i live is hard to get one of those.

Tómas.

0 Likes