Photodiode detection using Comparator not working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am new to PSOC

I am using PSOC 5LP with PSoC Programmer 4.2

I have a photodiode & resistor are connected externally, using Vdd and GND(Vss) pins on board as shown in picture.

This should be able to detect obstacle on photodiode and indicate it through the on board LED.

pastedImage_0.png

By default the LED is ON after programming.

What can be corrected in this setup?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Dear Ajeya,

You may have to modify your circuitry. The photodiode will have a dark current passing through it even at complete darkness. So at any point of time your comparator +ve terminal is not going to have a voltage less than -ve terminal for the circuit to work. You can use another potential divide(or a pot to adjust sensitivity) in one of the terminals while the photo diode-resistor divider is connected in the other terminal.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,
VRS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Ajay ,

You need to connect it the comparator input across the photo diode (D1) . All the best !!

Regards,

Basil

Vasanth

Dear Ajeya,

You may have to modify your circuitry. The photodiode will have a dark current passing through it even at complete darkness. So at any point of time your comparator +ve terminal is not going to have a voltage less than -ve terminal for the circuit to work. You can use another potential divide(or a pot to adjust sensitivity) in one of the terminals while the photo diode-resistor divider is connected in the other terminal.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,
VRS

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

With that setup mentioned vsrs​ I see the LED change value when a multimeter is connected at "Pos" and "Neg". Then if I cover photodiode and uncover photodiode it functions beautifully, with digital multimeter giving me voltage variation from 0.something volts to 4.7V.

If I remove the multimeter probes and repeat the test. i am unable to see the result. The LED is always ON whatever I do with the photodiode.

I am not sure that I understand this :-()

Note: adding  resistors 10k,100k, 1M,2M,2.5M or  R4 (without DMM) in the circuit above did not give proper output .

How do I make my photodetect circuit fool-proof ? I should not be having a multimeter connected in my end result.

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hi Ajeya,

R4 should be actually a pot, rather than a resistor. You can tune it accordingly. Before connecting the setup with the circuit you can individually check the voltage generated across R1 while photo diode is covered and uncovered and decide on the tripping point.

Best Regards,
VRS

0 Likes