Performance ppcli.exe vs PSoC Programmer GUI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hauer
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I noticed, that programming an PSoC 5LP (CY8C5268LTI-LP030, 256kB Flash) using the ppcli.exe takes about 70s, whereas the PSoC Programmer takes only about 11s (even after an "Erase all", same Settings).

For the PSocProgrammerCLI(ppcli.exe) I was using the example script in the KBA-ppcli-Article.
The only changes I made, were to adapt the programmer(Miniprog4) and hex File and calling:

"ppcli.exe --runfile example_script.cli"

Is there a way to get the ppcli.exe(v3.29.1) to work (nearly) as fast as the GUI based PSoC Programmer(v3.29.1)?
Or is there a way to program the PSoC5LP without iterating manually over these 4x256 rows?
Our goal is to have a custom user interface, where programming settings are applied, based on the selected device, which should be programmed. Our custom interface works as expected, but the 70 seconds for programming are unacceptable for us.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @hauer 

Another thing you can try is eliminating certain functions like ProgramNVLArrays (if not required for your application) from the Csharp code to make the programming slightly faster. 

Could you let me know if you are trying to use ppcli for mass programming?

Also what programmer are you using for the purpose of programming?

Please note that  The Miniprog3 provides over current protection and over voltage protections, but due to the manufacturing environments the engineering programmers might be subjected to damaging conditions. It is recommended that you use mass production programmers for manufacturing. You can find the complete
list of recommended vendors here.

Best Regards
Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ekta_N

Hello @hauer 

I tried programming using PPCLI and PSoC Programmer and I observed similar differences in the time required to program a PSoC 5LP device.

>> Programming using PPCLI takes more time because in the script you are using, individual calls are made to program and verify each row. Instead of this you can try block programming and chip programming and see if it is faster. The details of doing this can be found in the examples section of the PSoC Programmer CLI  appnote.

>> You can also refer to the The Component Object Model (COM) Interface Guide that describes the COM interface that you can use as an alternative to the command line interface (CLI) for PSoC Programmer

You can try programming using the C Sharp source code provided in the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\Examples\Programming\PSoC3_5\SWD\C_Sharp

You will require Visual Studio to build the tool using the C sharp code given in the above mentioned path.

Thanks and Regards
Ekta

0 Likes
hauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ekta

As far as I can see, there are no such block/chip programming commands in both Guides(CLI/COM) for PSoC 5LP.

I tried your suggested C_Sharp Code. This resulted in 51s execution time for the following snippet:

hr = ProgramFlashArrays(hexImageSize);

The time is a bit lower, but this is mainly because the row verification part is omitted. The C_Sharp Code also iterates over all arrays and rows.

Only for PSoC 1 there is a "Program()" command, which programs the whole hex file.

Are there any other possibilities for PSoC 5LP?

Thanks

0 Likes
hauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Ekta_N 

Are there any updates?

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello @hauer 

Another thing you can try is eliminating certain functions like ProgramNVLArrays (if not required for your application) from the Csharp code to make the programming slightly faster. 

Could you let me know if you are trying to use ppcli for mass programming?

Also what programmer are you using for the purpose of programming?

Please note that  The Miniprog3 provides over current protection and over voltage protections, but due to the manufacturing environments the engineering programmers might be subjected to damaging conditions. It is recommended that you use mass production programmers for manufacturing. You can find the complete
list of recommended vendors here.

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes