PSoC1-migration to PSoCx

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MarcelKrisman
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello all,

I would like to know what would be quickest migration of the PSoC device towards a newer PSoC device which

is recommended for new designs (full long term production) ,

and where the debug-tooling & progamming tooling is fully available.

Main parts that would need migration are: 

CY8C29566-24AXI

CY8C27433-24SXI

Any help / suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Marcel Krisman.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Download and install PSoC Creator 4.4 and get acquainted with the new IDE

Start any of the PSoC4 example projects and check the availlabe components with your  PSoC1 requirements. There is a datasheet for EACH component, so you can verirfy the performance.

Get hands on a prototype board or a Pioneer prototype, both of them have got an integrated debugger

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Download and install PSoC Creator 4.4 and get acquainted with the new IDE

Start any of the PSoC4 example projects and check the availlabe components with your  PSoC1 requirements. There is a datasheet for EACH component, so you can verirfy the performance.

Get hands on a prototype board or a Pioneer prototype, both of them have got an integrated debugger

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
MarcelKrisman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Bob,

Thanks for you feedback.

You are referring to PSoC 4 example projects.

So it is adviced to use PSOC 4 devices instead of PSoC 3 or PSoC 5 or ? for a PSoC1-redesign? 

Thanks and regards,

Marcel Krisman.

0 Likes

Marcel,

I would advise that you directly contact an Infineon Sales Representative in your area.

A choice of a replacement PSoC will depend, in part, on the PSoC1 resources being used and your projected volume in the next few years.

Infineon has a production plan for each of their legacy parts (PSoC3 and PSoC5) and their other parts going forward.  Depending on their production plans and your anticipated product life plans will help to inform your decisions.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

PSoC 3 and 5 differ only in the underlying processor. The PSoC3 has an a bit outdated 8055 CPU (desigbed in 1980) which has its limits. The PSoC 4 and 5 have got an 16 bit wide ARM Cortex M3 CPU which is a lot faster than the  PSoC1's 8 bit CPU. The PSoC 4 components are easily to design with and cover a wide range. When you specify the components you used in your PSoC 1 design we will be able to check compatibility.

Bob

0 Likes
MarcelKrisman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Bob,

In the PSoC1 device CY8C29566-24AXI we use:

29x digital GPIOs

2x analog inputs

1x SPI-interface

1x I2C interface

In the PSoC1 device CY8C27433-24SXI we use:

14x digital GPIOs

1x I2C interface

Please advice on "replacement" parts.

I don't see an ADC available in PSOC4 parts...

Thanks for advice.

Best regards,

Marcel Krisman.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When you open a project in creator there is the option  Project->Device Selector which shows number of pins blocks etc.

You should select the 4200M family which has all you need. ADC is a 12-bit SAR with an input-multiplexor for more than 4 channels.

give it a try

Bob