PSoC 5LP or PSoC 4 roadmaps

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
IvPa_4102121
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Are there any plans to introduce new PSoC 5LP members with more package pins and 24 UDBs ?

Or alternatively to introduce PSoC 4200L 124-ball VFBGA  with more UDBs ?

My problem is that I need more than 72 I/O pins available on PSoC 5LP and more than 8 UDBs available on PSoC 4.

My design needs more than 128 PT (product terms) to fit.

Regards,

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Check if possible to use a PSoC6, they have got 12 UDBs and up to 78 I/O pins.

Bob

0 Likes

Not possible, we need full 1.8V to 5.5V operation.

That is why we want bigger PSoC 5LP.

0 Likes

IvPa,

Try to optimize the design using PSoC4, with PSoC there is usually more than one way to "slice the cow".

/odissey1

0 Likes

Unfortunately, even my initial design does not fit into PSoC 4, it requires 130 PT and I still need to add a counter and terminal condition detection. I do not understand why PSoC 4 does not have 24 UDBs ! That would be excellent.

To understand some background - I want to eliminate external FPGA and save on the cost and PCB resources. But I need loads of UDBs !

0 Likes

Gabriel,

Can you post your design or some demo exemplying the goal?

/odissey1

0 Likes

Sorry,

I cannot post anything publicly.

Are there any plan to introduce higher pin count PSoC 5LP, please ?

We can hardly fit into TQFP100 and we still need more pins.

I just wonder, there are NC pins on TQFP100 pins 57 to 62, it they are GPIOs, that would help a lot.

The best would be a VBFGA124 or similar.

0 Likes

Gabriel,

PSoC5 is becoming old, I doubt if Cypress will introduce any new parts. Can you use 2x PSoC4 parts instead?

/odissey1

0 Likes

Well,

PSoC 5LP is the only one with 24 UDBs.

If Cypress offers PSoC 4 with 24+ UDBs and 120+ pins, then I will go for it.

But not a second sooner.

0 Likes
AnEy_1336741
Level 3
Level 3

Does anybody know a place where users discuss ideas and whishes for new members of the PSoC5-family?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnEy_1336741
Level 3
Level 3

PSoC 5LP is the only platform for long term growing large mixed signal projects. I also wish to have a PSoC 5XC series (for extended capability) or a PSoC59xx-series with more of everything. Processor speed is not a struggle at the moment. But soon I will reach the limits of analogs and digitals. PSoC6 is not a real mixed signal controller anymore. It is too restricted when it comes to analog and to flexibility. It targets projects, where processing power can overcome shortenings in the other areas. Without having the needed amount of ADCs and DACs for doing so. And PSoC 4 would force to build multi-chip systems, which are difficult to maintain regarding firmware updates and are also restricted in flexibilty, because hard wired connections between the chips are not freely programmable in comparison to a chip as we have with 5LP.

This is my opinion as a 5LP-user since 2015. By the way: I started my largest project with PSoC4 but switched to 5LP at a certain point.

For better understanding I will upload the internal schematic of this project.