PSoC 5 Timer reset on capture

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to get a UDB based timer to reset when it captures a value, but nothing that I have tried has worked. Please take a look at the attached schematic capture and let me know what you think. I have tried a number of variations on this setup, but nothing has worked correctly.

0 Likes
6 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The datasheet is not clear on this but I suspect that either the reset pulse width is not wide enough,

1 clock or more, or there is a state condition that with a hardwired capture out to reset connection

the part just stays in reset.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I need to restart the component after reset?

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I have been doing a bunch of experimentation, and it still isn't working correctly. I added some flip-flops to make sure that the capture_out output is held high long enough to reset the timer, and I have verified that the additional circuit is working correctly using an o-scope, but now all of the captures are showing as the reset value, not an actual count. I have measured the reset frequency at 123Khz, and with a clock frequency on the counter of 64Mhz it should end up with a count of about 0xFFFF - 520 or so, but I am always getting 0xFFFF from the capture. Does the reset clear the capture register? It doesn't seem like it should, but again the documentation is not very clear.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got it working! Apparently you have to delay the signal by two clocks. Here is the circuit that works.

*edit: Apparently embeded images don't work? I have attached it.

0 Likes

Thanks! I had exactly the same problem.  I could fix it using two D flip flops in series.

0 Likes
user_4042066
Level 1
Level 1

When you work with the UDB option and you need to reset after capture, you must select the option One Shot (Halt to Interrupt), in Run Mode. In this way the Timer restarts each time an interruption occurs.

Regards.

Mariano.

0 Likes