PSOC5LP with 0-3.3V triaxial accelerometer / 3rd Order low pass filter/ SPI ESP32 Wifi data transmission

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello Infineon community!

I finally received my CY8CKIT-059 PSOC5LP. I am a total beginner working with it but I'm looking forward to doing my project with it. 

Accelerometer 832M1-0500:  Supply: 3.3V Sensitivity@80Hz(mV/g)  (X-Y-Z): 3.081-2.534-2.7 Bias Voltage(X-Y-Z): 1.636 1.628 1.659

I'm willing to use the SAR ADC with 12-bit resolution to sample the analog output (60KSPS/channel) of the 3 axes of the Accelerometer. Before the input, I have to filter the signal before with -30dB attenuation at half the sampling frequency.

Can I achieve simultaneous sampling for the 3 axes with the S/H? If not I have to have a minimum sampling of 180KSPS and divide it into 3 to achieve 60KSPS. 

Then, I need to transfer the data of the Accelerometer to an ESP32 with SPI then transmit it wirelessly (UDP) (I think this will be another topic) 

So I have multiple beginner questions. (I think I will receive some replies that I need to read the datasheet😅)

1) Can I use a power bank to power the PSOC using 5V USB? What about the Vref of the ADC (VDDA VSSA etc.) can they be powered internally? If my application is to be battery powered, do you advise me to use a battery instead of the USB powering?

2) Which ADC SAR inputs (pins) do you advise me to use? Can I use the kitprog's and work only with it? Or do I have to involve the target? 

3) I have no idea about how can I filter internally the input. Can you give me some insights? 

4) In the screenshot, I need to check if I forgot something, and ask you what should I put as configuration for the ADC if I power the MCU with USB. Vssa to Vdda? 

The SPI connection and filtering are my next steps, just when I'm sure I'm on the right track

I am sorry for the beginner questions but I'm still learning so I rushed to post a thread to receive advice from experienced people in the field. Feel free to reply even if just to tell me go work on your datasheets or other constructive remarks😂

Thank you, People!

Jad

0 Likes
17 Replies
Raj_C
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi @jadkh,

I have gone through your query and here are my suggestions:

1. Yes, you can use the Power Bank to power the PSoC using 5V USB. As long as the supply voltage for the device is in the rated voltage range, it will work fine. (I have tried it on my side for PSoC 4100PS.)
  2. For the ADC refer to section 8 of the PSoC 3 and PSoC 5LP Hardware Design Considerations. There are some pins with bypass capacitor connected (as sar adc bypass cap pin) avoid using those pins.
  3. For the filter implementation refer to the ‘Filter_ADC_VDAC Example Project’ for PSoC 5LP devices.

Please, let us know if further clarification is required.

Thanks

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply. 

Just by curiosity, why should I avoid bypassed pins? By bypassing it does not provide a higher sampling rate? What are the cons? 

Regards

Jad

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Jad,

The PSoC5LP-059 kit has some pins shared for the bypass capacitor pins of ADC and also available in the pad. You can avoid those pins(p0.4,p0.3,p0.2 and p3.2).

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Jad,

The PSoC5 has 2  first-order LPFs.  Here is a link to my thread with my custom component:

A-LPF-Low-Pass-Filter-Component-Finally 

The 2 LPFs can be routed serially to create a second-order filter.

In your Topdesign, the LPF would have to be placed before the S&Hs to be useful.

You can create your own external third-order filter with external components.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1637328367623.png

Yes, you can use the USB port with a power bank to supply 5V.  In addition, the 832M1-0500 can take 5V for the excitation voltage VDD.  Based on the datasheet, the output appears to be self-regulated.

Recommendations:

Ditch the PGA buffering the Vref

There is not need to send the Vref for the SAR through the PGA.  The PGA could introduce a voltage offset.  You can feed the Vref directly into the '-' input of the SAR.  Or you can select 

Input Range: 0.0 to 2.048V (Single Ended) 0 to Vref*2

Reference: Internal Vref, bypassed.

This will automatically route the Vref to the SAR and using Internal Vref, bypass will use either P0.2 or P0.4 with an external cap to further stabilize the Vref.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1637329091922.png

Your LUT is not necessarily in sync with the Amux.

Your LUT state is clock with the EOC of the SAR.  However the Amux you chose can only be modified with SW to select the active channel.   I see you have isr_1 to generate an interrupt to switch Amux.  Depending on what else is going on in your SW, there may be delays after EOC activates.   If your conversion rate is very fast, this might be a problem to capture the axis value before the LUT changes to the next axis to S&H.

Suggestion:  You can look at routing the LUT's out0 and out1 to a different version of the Amux.  This type uses the LUT outputs 0 and 1 to sync the Amux switching without SW intervention.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1637330289975.png

Use of an Input third-order LPF and Sample & Hold may be redundant.

What is your goal for the third-order corner frequency?

Using the +/- 25g version of this part, you can get 1/100th of a g resolution with Vref = 1.024V and SAR resolution = 12 bits.  (ie 500uV per ADC count.  The accel. sensitivity is 50000uV/g).

The spectral noise is only 120ug at 10Hz and less at higher frequencies.

I don't know your target application.  However I suspect you can use a first-order LPF with a corner frequency at about 1000 Hz.  With a quick conversion rate of the SAR, you can use a moving averaging for each axis to create a SW LPF.

I don't know if there is a reason to use this specific accelerometer.  There are other very accurate tri-axis sensors with internally handling the sampling and ADC conversion.  They can offer a SPI or I2C interface.  Some of these units can be programmed to internally trigger an interrupt the CPU based on SW programmable threshold  parameters.  This minimizes the CPU workload.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

If the excitation voltage for the sensor is 5V, with this option the maximum ADC input will be 2.048V, right? how to read the whole range: 0-5V ? There is not need to send the Vref for the SAR through the PGA.  The PGA could introduce a voltage offset.  You can feed the Vref directly into the '-' input of the SAR.  Or you can select 

They didn't advise me to use internal bypass, so to avoid the  0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 3.2. Do you think why? And can I assign any GPIO to use them as the SAR inputs? do you think I need external bypass caps or can I ommit them.

Simply because the norm requires that. 

Using the +/- 25g version of this part, you can get 1/100th of a g resolution with Vref = 1.024V and SAR resolution = 12 bits.  (ie 500uV per ADC count.  The accel. sensitivity is 50000uV/g).

I am using the +/-500g, and selected this sensor because my application is a head drop test that can reach the 500g. I searched for accelerometers that are conditioned but I didn't find in those ranges of G's. 

So do you think with the 500g version with frequency response of 6kHz do I need filtering? Or the high sampling can do it?

to use the moving average method, do I need further implementation or a special method? Or the fact that I'm using high sampling, It creates a digital filter? Thanks for your responses and sorry for my beginner questions. 

0 Likes

Jad,

If the excitation voltage for the sensor is 5V, with this option the maximum ADC input will be 2.048V, right? how to read the whole range: 0-5V ? 

You can change the Input Range: to Vssa to Vdda (Single-Ended).

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1637677374822.png

However don't assume that Vdda to be 5V.   It is a good idea you make the AmuxHw_1 to a 4-input with Vref at 1.024V as an additional input.  Measuring Vref which should be a constant voltage, all the other voltages measured (for X, Y Z axises) can be scaled to more correct voltages.   In addition you would have to expand the LUT truth table to include the 4th input.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1637677853414.png

Using a potentially non-constant voltage such as Vdda can lead to some measurement inaccuracies.   Vdda might have some "bouncing" due to intermittent loading on the voltage source.

There is not need to send the Vref for the SAR through the PGA.  The PGA could introduce a voltage offset.  You can feed the Vref directly into the '-' input of the SAR.  Or you can select 

They didn't advise me to use internal bypass, so to avoid the  0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 3.2. Do you think why? And can I assign any GPIO to use them as the SAR inputs?

In your Topdesign you used the SAR in differential mode.  Additionally you had a 1.024V Vref as an input to a PGA (I'm assuming the PGA gain is x2).  This means the output of the PGA is intended to be 2.048V.  Therefore all SAR readings are '0' centered at 2.048V (an input at 2.048V reads as an ADC count of 0). 

There are a few potential issues.

• ANY PGA has a potential input offset voltage (Vos).  The PGA Vos is rated at  10mV.  This means that with a input Vref of 1.024V that it could be an input of 1.024V to 1.034V.
  • A PGA gain multiplies the Vos.  Therefore if the gain is x2, then the Vos_with_gain = 10mV x 2 = 20mV.  The output could be as high as 2.068V.
  • If the excitation voltage for Vdda = 5.0V then the sensor should be using a excitation/2 voltage of 2.5V.  This means that the axises perpendicular to gravity should be reading 0 gs.  At 0 g, the output for the axis should be 2.5V.  Therefore with the SAR in differential mode and the SAR ref at 2.048V, these axises will have an offset of 2.048V - 2.5V = -0.452V =>  -0.453V/2.048V * (2^12) = -925 ADC counts.  This offset can be compensated in SW.  
    If the sensor pushed an output of the excitation/2 voltage, then you could use that as a reasonable reference to the SAR ref.  However, it doesn't appear that is an option.

The use of a external bypass option for the Vref is to help to reduce potential loading "bouncing" on that signal.  Usually a good policy if available.

Simply because the norm requires that. 

Refer to the discussion below.

I am using the +/-500g, and selected this sensor because my application is a head drop test that can reach the 500g. I searched for accelerometers that are conditioned but I didn't find in those ranges of G's. 

So do you think with the 500g version with frequency response of 6kHz do I need filtering? Or the high sampling can do it?

1. You are using the least sensitive of the sensors.  This is because you need to measure drop g values.

I'm assuming in your application, you are trying to "accurately" measure the g forces.

Assuming you can achieve accuracy with some acceptable level of tolerance with solving som eof the issues listed above, A +/- 500 g sensor is 1000 g full scale.  With a 12 bit SAR the max ADC count is 4096.  This means that  your 'g' resolution (per 1 ADC count)= 1000g/4096 cnts = 0.24g/cnt.

Performing a HW third-order LPF can be a bit tricky.  This partially due to the accuracy of your external components (resistors and caps).  The lower the corner frequency, the more difficult to get a good result.  

Additionally you would need identical filters for each axis.

Using a SW filter is usually much less expensive.  The cost is the time it takes to calculate the data.

to use the moving average method, do I need further implementation or a special method? Or the fact that I'm using high sampling, It creates a digital filter? Thanks for your responses and sorry for my beginner questions. 

There are at least three styles of averaging for data acquisition filtering:

Simple Averaging

As the name implies this is the simplest method.  This method takes 'n' samples of the same axis and adds the results together then divides the total by 'n'.

The effective corner frequency is about the axis sampling rate / 'n'.

Pro: Simple algorithm.

Con:  'True' transient peak values get reduced to a smaller value due to averaging of multiple smaller samples.  Additionally the data has a time delay dependent on the 'n'/sampling rate.

Windowed Averaging

This method performs a FIFO to the incoming data.  Like the Simple Averaging, it performs an averaging on the last 'n' samples.  When a new sample comes in, it throws out (or ignores) the oldest of 'n' samples.   

The effective corner frequency is closer to the sampling frequency but not too far from sample rate/'n'.

Pro: Peak values in the signal are less attenuated.  The time delay to a signal value is closer to the sampling rate.

Con: Peak values are still attenuated but not as much as the Simple Averaging. 

Differential Averaging

This method can use the "Simple" or "Windowed" approach to buffering the incoming data.

The change in this method is that the data in the buffer is analyzed based on consecutive measurements.  If the reading at x+1 is only slightly different than the previous sample (at x), then the value at x+1 is multiplied by 1 and added to the accumulated sum.  If x+1 is more different than x, then multiply the value at x+1 times 2 and then add to the sum before averaging.

If x+1 is even more different that x, then multiply the value of x+1 by 3 and add to the accumulated sum.  I hope you can see the pattern here.

In this method you determine the 'weighting' value based on the difference between values in time.  What this does is help to filter out noise that may appear which only may appear as 1 or 2 ADC counts in the signal.  'True' signal differences get accentuated and the average value has a better representation of the peak value.

You determine how many ADC counts represent noise in the system.

The effective corner frequency is closer to the sample rate with virtual no 'n' division factor.  This effectively allows for a LPF with a sharper "cliff" rather than a drop-off slope.

Pro: Peaks are significantly less attenuated.   With a good choice of 'weighting' values, you can lower the sampling rate and use less samples ('n') for the data buffer.

Con:  It requires more CPU computing. 
Because the values are use a weighting factor multiplied, the averaging algorithm is slightly different.  The accumulated sum incudes all the values with multiplication.  Then you need another variable that sums all the multiplication factors in the 'n' samples.  The accumulated data values are then divided by the accumulated multiplication factors.

Additional Recommendations

1. To determine the effective corner frequency, sample the data of 'real' drops and determine the rise or fall time of the maximum signal difference WITHOUT ANY HW or SW FILTERING.  This time is minimum period assuming you could synchronize the signal acquisition.  Since you can't synchronize a asynchronous real-time event,  take this period and divide by 2, 4 or 8.   This oversampling will more accurately result in capturing peak values in a reasonable amount of time.  1/sampling period = sampling rate.
  2. If you can acquire the data listed in the recommendation 1., you have the 'raw' data hopefully sent to a PC.  Using the PC, you can perform better analysis using many tools including MathCAD and others.  In this case you may not need to performing ANY filtering on the incoming data.
Len
0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

Hello again, 

I finally soldered my sensor on a blank PC board and it is ready for testing.

I am getting this error that I didn't manage to solve. 

I attached the drawing with the configuration of the ADC

Drawing psoc creator.PNG

0 Likes

Jad,

Sorry.  I hadn't looked at the AmuxHW datasheet.

The AMuxHW has a requirement by the component author.  Datasheet excerpt:

Input/Output Connections
This section describes the various input and output connections for the AMuxHw. An asterisk (*) in the list of I/Os indicates that the I/O may be hidden on the symbol under the conditions listed in the description of that I/O.
0 - 255 – Analog
The AMuxHw Component is can have between 1 and 256 analog “inputs.” Paired inputs are present when the MuxType parameter is set to Differential. These inputs must be GPIO pins.

☹️

I changed out the AmuxHW to the AmuxSeq.  Sadly, this requires the CPU to switch the AmuxSeq_1 on isr_1.  I was trying to avoid that due to potential CPU latency lags.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1637686449131.png

Len
0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

jadkh,

It is hard to get good quality data with 3 S&H circuits and single ADC. My experience with S&H block is not positive. In addition, you have to fight a cross-talk between ADC channels.

Instead, I suggest using all 3 ADCs of PSoC5 (two SAR_ADC and one DelSig-ADC) to simultaneously sample X,Y and Z channels of the accelerometer. The DelSig-ADC has better resolution (16-bit at ~40kHz), and ADC_SAR can be oversampled to achieve effective 14-16 bit resolution using digital filtering.

What "output" rate you need to achieve?

/odissey1

0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Odissey,

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes this is what I thought of. 

I need to have a 12bit res and sample at Minimum 20000Hz, with an anti aliasing filter of 30dB attenuation at half of the sampling rate. 

By digital filtering you mean the VDAC with a filter component like this project?

1634139267409.png

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

jadkh,

The sensor can provide only 6 kHz analog bandwidth, so after all oversampling and filtering there is no need of having more than 6-10kHz output.

The challenge is that PSoC5 has two dissimiliar ADCs: SAR and DelSig, which need to be conditioned to the same bandwidth and resolution.

The DelSig-ADC should work as-is without any issues. The SAR_ADC can be oversampled at 64xF frequency to get effective 15-bits using either hardware or DigitalFilter Block.

I will take a look into it.

0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

New Update !! 

I implemented the 3 ADCs (Delsig, SAR, and sequential SAR with 1 input) Names: DELSIG, SAR1, SAR2 respectively
I think the connections and transmission of X-axis' and Z-axis' data are good. (Delsig and Seq-SAR (SAR2)). 

But the Y-axis I am getting 0 values. (It's not a hardware problem because when I touch the connection (bare) I get results. See below the results with and without the sensor. 

with;withou sensor.jpg

In addition, the values of the X axis didn't change much With and without sensor. (The change is the fluctuation of the VDDA.

These are the configs of my adcs

SAR2.PNG

DELSIG.PNG

SAR1.PNG

   

1) What do you think is the problem of the Y axis if it isn't a hardware connection problem? 

2) How can I track VDDA and Vref in software to adjust my results. (best and fastest implementation) 

3) Do I need (is it crucial) to implement a filter on delsig to achieve 15bits? @odissey1 

Thanks for the replies and will keep you updated on the project

0 Likes

jadkh,

It would seem to me that it is a HW problem.  When you place your finger on the bare trace, your finger is acting as a 'antenna'.  The 'antenna' is picking up random electrical signals from your environment.  For example, if I don't properly GND my scope probe, I get the AC frequency of the florescent lights that are on.

The other reason you might see signal from your finger is that you accumulated an electrical charge and touching the trace is discharging to the PCB. (Be careful of ESD).

In general, if the two SARs are configured alike, then you should get reasonable values.

I would check to make sure the Y-axis circuit connections are soldered well.

Normally an ADC with high resolution has some input noise.   A value of constant '0' on a single-ended SAR should be rare.  Besides the Y-axis should read approximately an ADC value of 1/2 the excitation voltage with some noise variance.

Experiment: Open up the Y-axis connection to the sensor.   Place a known constant voltage at the Y-axis input to the PSoC.  This known constant voltage should be reflected in the ADC value read.  This proves out the Y-axis input and ADC connected to it.   If you have a 1K ohm series resistance in the Y-axis to PSoC circuit then you shouldn't need to modify the PCB.

Question:  There are two SARs on the PSoC5LP.   Why are you using one of them as a Sequential SAR?  If you have only 3 analog inputs to measure with the ADC, you can directly connect each signal to the 3 ADCs in the PSoC.

Len
0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

Len_CONSULTRON

Thanks for the reply, 

First, I checked the soldering and re soldered and changed the cable of the input but in vain.

Can I connect a normal AAA 1.2V battery? 

I didn't understand this sentence: If you have a 1K ohm series resistance in the Y-axis to PSoC circuit then you shouldn't need to modify the PCB

Then, If all is good with the battery simulating the sensor, the conclusion is that the ADC and the input are fine and my sensor could be damaged?

Concerning your question, in fact I implemented 2 normal SAR ADCs and printed their results. When SAR1 was showing a non zero number, the second showed 0, and vice-versa. I suggested that the PSOC is using the same ADC for the 2 inputs. This is why I implemented the Seq SAR, thinking that the 2 SAR ADCs are the normal and the sequential one that's it. But looking at your question my hypothesis was wrong. So the question is how to implement 2 SAR ADCs using 2 identical SAR ADC block? Is there specific inputs dedicated for each ADC for example? 

0 Likes

jadkh,

First, I checked the soldering and re soldered and changed the cable of the input but in vain.

Good.  Am I to understand there is a cable connection from the Sensor to the PSoC board?

Can I connect a normal AAA 1.2V battery? 

Yes.  The idea is to have a 'known' voltage that would confirm the ADC is reading properly.  The goal is to 'unit test' each part of the circuit under known conditions.  Verifying each relevant circuit as you develop.  

If you do not get close to the ADC count expected, it might be a HW problem or a SW problem.

Another thing you can do is configure a VDAC8 to output a specific voltage (let's say: 2.0V) and send the VDAC output out an analog pin.   Tie the VDAC output to the Y-axis input and it should read the ADC count of the VDAC voltage.  (It should be confirmed with a DMM measurement.)

I didn't understand this sentence: If you have a 1K ohm series resistance in the Y-axis to PSoC circuit then you shouldn't need to modify the PCB

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1638559429347.png

The 1K ohm series resistance (or a value like it) would allow you to insert the test voltage into the PsoC input without damage to the Sensor output.  This minimizes PCB removal of components or "lifting legs" of the sensor.  It reduces the chance of PCB rework damage.

Then, If all is good with the battery simulating the sensor, the conclusion is that the ADC and the input are fine and my sensor could be damaged?

That's what my "unit testing" suggestion is attempting to determine.

So the question is how to implement 2 SAR ADCs using 2 identical SAR ADC block?

It's pretty straight-forward

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1638559818395.png

Is there specific inputs dedicated for each ADC for example? 

On the PsoC5LP nearly every GPIO pin can be used as an analog input.  The major exception to that is the SIO pins (Port 12).  That's one of the beautiful things about the PsoC5.  The ability to configure an input is more versatile.   I should note though that there is a general principle of GPIO assignments and routing.  For example, avoid placing high-impedance analog input pins near digital input or output pins drawing significant  current.  This might be prone to cross-talk onto your analog signal leading to higher noise.

Len
0 Likes
jadkh
Level 2
Level 2

UPDATE!! 

I tested the ADC inputs with a 1.576V AAA Battery. 

X: 1348 ; Y: 1362; Z: 1351 

I concluded that X,Y,Z inputs' ADCs have a resolution of 1.169mV, 1.157mV, 1.166mV / Count

I connected the sensor and Y is still showing 0 --> Conclusion: Sensor's output damaged?  If yes I'll continue the configuration with 2 outputs and then change the sensor later.

Now with sensor connected:  X: 1725 and Z: 2222  at VDD=4.27V (Voltage drop because of the wires and the bad soldering) (VDDA is fluctuating also)

In software, if I'm not wrong we should do simple data shifting (1725*ADCsensitivity - Vexc/2)/Sensor's sensitivity. 

Q: Can I track VDD (exc voltage) in software to keep adjusting the outputs according to the excitation of the sensor? 

I think the results will not be precise because of the fluctuation of VDD plus the sloppy soldering and long wires. I will keep it like that and continue with the WIRELESS TRANSMISSION using ESP32 connected in series with the PSOC5LP. 

They advised me to use the SPI protocol for fast data transmission. Can I still use UART or it's this slow? What about I2C ? 

Thanks

jadkh_0-1638882590385.jpeg

Here's a picture of the chaos I made 😜

Jad

0 Likes

Jad,

Since you directly injected a known voltage into each ADC input and received an "in the ball park" result, it fair to assume the Y axis is damaged.  

Another test is to hook up the sensor to all axis.  No disconnect the Y-axis and measure the output with a DMM.  If the Y axis is perpendicular to earth's gravity, your measured output at the sensor should be ~ VDD/2.  This should be readable on a DMM.  If near 0, the sensor Y axis is damaged.

In software, if I'm not wrong we should do simple data shifting (1725*ADCsensitivity - Vexc/2)/Sensor's sensitivity. 

Since the sensor never outputs the Vexc/2 which it uses to give to the '0' g reference, it could be problematic to assume Vexc/2 = VDD/2.

Q: Can I track VDD (exc voltage) in software to keep adjusting the outputs according to the excitation of the sensor? 

As stated earlier, you cannot be absolutely sure what Vexc/2 is.  This is especially true since each axis has its own Vexc/2.   I have a suggestion to solve this below.

Based on the datasheet, it appears the output is NOT ratiometric.  Therefore your sensor voltage readings should not be dependent on the magnitude of VDD. This is good.  I would use internal Vref = 1.024V for accurate ADC data. 

The issue is not knowing where '0' g is on the readings.  Is this going to be an issue for your application?

If so, I would suggest performing a calibration cycle first where each axis can be placed perpendicular to earth's gravity and the sensor is absolutely still.  You can then take each axis '0' g referenced ADC reading and then subtract it from the actual readings as you acquire them.

Len
0 Likes