PSOC5 LP+ESP8266 logging data to network location on PC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Y_r
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 50 sign-ins 25 replies posted

Hello Community,

I have been working on a project, and with some help from people here, I have been able to get it together almost completely (which is basically a temperature monitoring system and logging this data to the SPI-connected SD card with a few other functions).

The issue where I am stuck right now is to figure out a way (or if it is even possible) to store a continuous stream of temperature data onto a network location or a folder on the PC (with the help of ESP!!! MAYBE??) to enable the logging of said, temperature data, can be stored in a file on the network location or folder on the PC...

I have been searching for ways on how this can be searching for ways this can be achieved, but haven't been successful in getting something meaningful to work with. 

So, now, I am here in the community, looking to see if anyone can help figure out how (or if even) this can be done!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I have seen ways of uploading this data to Google Sheets using NodeMCU, but couldn't quite figure out how the entire process is working to even try to adapt to the PSOC, since the process is implemented using libraries.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Yash,

If you're interested in dumping your data through the PC host serial port, you can use SerialPlot: SerialPlot-interface-to-real-time-data-charts 

It sends your data in .CSV format to display and to store in a .CSV file on your PC.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Yash,

If you're interested in dumping your data through the PC host serial port, you can use SerialPlot: SerialPlot-interface-to-real-time-data-charts 

It sends your data in .CSV format to display and to store in a .CSV file on your PC.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hi Len,

Thanks a lot for providing information about the SerialPlot (which can be used to plot real-time data over a UART port).

But I was wondering if data can be uploaded to a file onto a network drive (since I have the ESP8266 on-board) or to google sheets, which can have multiple access (so that It can be reviewed by many people with the link to the sheet) and check the data from a remote location.

While I couldn't find any way of implementing the file on a Network Location aspect, I could find some links to the Google Sheets updating using two implementations, 
1. NodeMCU updates data directly to GoogleSheets (using pre-compiled libraries).
2. NodeMCU/ Arduino UNO+ESP8266 updating to GoogleSheets with the help of IFTTT service (but with limitations).

So, is it actually possible to update/create a file stored on a Network Location using the ESP?
Or if any of the above two methods could be used with the PSOC+ESP combo since I couldn't actually implement the IFTTT method!?

Thanks and Regards,
Yash

0 Likes