PSOC Capabilities

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaPo_4324361
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

I'm new to PSOC, have been pointed to PSOC-5 for my goal.

I'm willing to use the device in my design for the following tasks, and would like to know if all of this cab be supported (maybe another device can support?)

(already chacked some of these in the website, but want to be sure):

1. Power sequncing (up/down) and voltage monitoring (using ADC-s) of several DC-DC/LDO-s.

2. Current / Temperature monitoring (using ADC-s) of a few power rails / PCB hot spots (Using external Current/Temperature to Voltage Device?)

3. Reset (input discrete) signal management - time debouncer, performing power sequencing when reset asserted.

4. Events Log record (Resets, voltage regulations vs time, etc.) over the internal EEPROM.

5. Real-Time transfer of all measurements mentioned above, over I2C/SPI (to extenal device).

6. Configuration (may be one time) of several devices over I2C/SPI. - (Nice to have capability).

Thanks!

Max

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Max,

Yes to all your questions!  In many cases, there are Cypress components to do much of the driver SW for the functions you are looking for.  There are also example SW to help you with an developing application code to interface to the drivers (via the API calls).

1. Power sequncing (up/down) and voltage monitoring (using ADC-s) of several DC-DC/LDO-s.

There are configurable Power Monitor components with 8, 16 or 32 rails.

2. Current / Temperature monitoring (using ADC-s) of a few power rails / PCB hot spots (Using external Current/Temperature to Voltage Device?)

You can configure a multi-input Analog multiplexer connecting to a SAR or Delta-Sigma ADC in differential mode that works best with current and temp sensor measurements.

3. Reset (input discrete) signal management - time debouncer, performing power sequencing when reset asserted.

You can debounce input signals in SW or in HW.  You can then start the power sequencing in SW or HW.

4. Events Log record (Resets, voltage regulations vs time, etc.) over the internal EEPROM.

The PSoC has 2K bytes of native EEPROM.  If that's not enough and you have used all your FLASH in firmware, you can use the remaining FLASH as emulated EEPROM.  Additional logging can be achieved with SPI or I2C to external EEPROM (note: Cypress has external FRAM non-volatile available as well).

5. Real-Time transfer of all measurements mentioned above, over I2C/SPI (to extenal device).

There are components for SPI or I2C communication.  They can be implemented at high speeds if needed.

6. Configuration (may be one time) of several devices over I2C/SPI. - (Nice to have capability).

You can use SPI or I2C communication for configurations saving to internal EEPROM.  You would need to define the communication protocol yourself.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

4 Replies