PSOC 3, cannot acquire device (miniprog3/JTAG)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, I am a hardware engineer, and I am pretty new to PSOC. I am unable to program my own board using the jtag interface on miniprog3. I have attached the PSOC portion of my schematic. I have successfully created a code project on the CY8CKIT-030 running an ADC, character display, and PWM module, but now I am working on a new PCB which uses a PSOC and another processor. That being said, I just want to show that while I am new, I am not completely clueless in all of this. I was intending to design this system so the PSOC was powered off of separate floating analog and digital supplies. I was trying to power quadrants VDDIO1 at 5V from the digital supply, VDDIO2 on the 3.3V from the digital supply, and quadrants VDDIO3 and VDDIO4 from the 5V on the analog supply. At this point, I am still uncertain if this is even possible. I have found no documentation or examples of anyone actually running 2 separate floating supplies. One mistake I made was pin 66 VSSD which was tied on the analog side VDDA, which was causing damage. After I damaged the first board in the run, I got another board from the run and cut and jumped so it was connected to digital ground. The processor did not overheat/fail like the first one. I have checked and double checked my JTAG connections. I believe they are all correct, but would be happy if someone could prove me otherwise . I have also tried connecting pin 10 of the JTAG connector to pin 25 nTRST (which is where I think it should be so I can debug) instead of pin 15 XRES. I have also soldered on pull-up resistors to TMS, TDI, TDO, and a pull down to TCK. I can see the programmer just fine. I have also tried connecting the grounds together of VSSA and VSSD, and that doesn’t help. I also have tried adding a 7.3 MHz crystal oscillator and 22pf caps to pins 42 and 43. Nothing seems to work. I cannot communicate or acquire the device in miniprogrammer or psoc creator. At this point I am suspicious this could be an oscillator issue, a power issue, or a JTAG connectivity issue, but I am out of ideas. I know some PSOCs can run off their own internal oscillator, but I am not sure if it has to be configured that way, or if it needs a crystal at least the first time it is programmed, or what.   
0 Likes
10 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help               http://www.cypress.com/?rID=39677

You are under these constraints -

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Attached what I attemped to post prior.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked
        Wasn't the interface to miniprog3 made with the SWD-pins? I think I've red something like that.   

Bob   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

SWD or JTAG for PSOC 3

All things PSOC Programming http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2543

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You should take a look at the programming specifications of PSoC3 for the hardware connections.
Link:
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=44327

You actually don't need any external resistors on the lines. Also take care that when your Vddio1 is 5V, your power of operation of miniprog should be 5V.

Take a look at the spec section 1.2.2.

Regards,
Garima

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BMP that was attached definitely answered my question about isolated supplies.  It is not possible.  However that doesn't fix my problem, because I have had their references tied together while trying all this troubleshooting.  I tried running out of the 5 pin connector on the miniprog3 but that doesn't change anything.  Furthermore, after exploring those options, the miniprogrammer software does not list my device under any protocol but JTAG.  The best I can get is a list of unknown devices 0xffffffff.  It can't ever seem to acquire the device in PSOC creator or miniprogrammer.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Then try this, post a CASE -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if the device uses an internal oscillator or the external crystal the first time it is ready to be programmed?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi KWLECO   
Of course, use internal oscillator when the programming is started.   
If not so, When the Xtal was broken, programming never can start.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The example schematic at end of programming specification does not show

an external clock.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes