Newb needs help getting started

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have some probably obvious questions to ask here, I just want to verify before I invest too much more in this.

I'm new to microcontroller development and slightly new to electronics (I assembled a heathkit TV once as a kid... woop-de-doo).

I've purchased a CY8C29466 and I want to know how to program it (and use it), or where I can find some samples specifically related to it.

I have 8 years experience in writing multiphysics software in C++, as well as a few recent user mode HID drivers (gamepads, joysticks, etc...), so the programming aspects don't scare me.

I understand I need a programming board (e.g. the CY8CKIT-001 in the store, but I'm not sure).

If I were to buy the aforementioned kit, do I just push the chip into the middle of the prototyping board without anything else?

When I'm done programming it, what paraphernalia must I attach aside from a power supply?

I ask because I want to fit the thing in a 15mm^2 x 5mm box along with a bluetooth radio and I don't want to have to mount it on a massive PCB (as I think was suggested in the kit video).

The purpose I have in mind is controlling the speed of a small motor with my phone for the heck of it, but doing so in the most compact way possible. Eventually I was thinking of jamming all of it into a 1:87 scale model semi truck, since it actually has the room to fit the two components sans the power supply.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
5 Replies