Minimal requirements for SWD to detect a PSoC5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rosenrot
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi there,

I ordered a CY8C5868AXI-LP035 and I wanted to find out if it is genuine and if it is working correctly. I'm asking this question because I'm not sure I ordered from a honest seller and now I want to verify. I don't have all the required caps yet as they are about to be delivered.

I designed my own PCB and just soldered the PSoC5 on it without any caps. I then connected a KitProg3 and powered it up but the KitProg doesn't detect any PSoC5.

Do you guys have answers to the following questions?

• Would a PSoC5 without any cap that is connected via 5cm long wires to a KitProg3 be found? I made all the required VDDIO, VDDA short connections of course.
  • There is no reason the 3.3V of the KitProg3 wouldn't work right?
1 Solution
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

There is an Application Note AN61290 "PSoC 3 and PSoc 5LP Hardware Design Donsiderations"

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN61290_PSoC_3_and_PSoC_5LP_Hardware_Design_Considerations-Ap...

IMHO, basically following the suggestions in this AN saves us a lot of time.

Having written above, I'm not very sure that not having decoupling caps can prevent the device to be detected.
(Needless to say, it is not the recommended method though)

In the AN above, there are chapters 

Appendix A. PCB Layout Tips

and

Appendix B. Schematic Checklist

Checking these two pages seems to be handy if  we  encounter a hardware trouble.

The following is my personal guess, and not as accurate as above,
but if I were you, I would check

- If the device is powered (VDD shows expected voltage)

- The connection of RESET circuit

- If "VCCD" is connected to "VDDD", usually "VCCD" should be open

moto

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

There is an Application Note AN61290 "PSoC 3 and PSoc 5LP Hardware Design Donsiderations"

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN61290_PSoC_3_and_PSoC_5LP_Hardware_Design_Considerations-Ap...

IMHO, basically following the suggestions in this AN saves us a lot of time.

Having written above, I'm not very sure that not having decoupling caps can prevent the device to be detected.
(Needless to say, it is not the recommended method though)

In the AN above, there are chapters 

Appendix A. PCB Layout Tips

and

Appendix B. Schematic Checklist

Checking these two pages seems to be handy if  we  encounter a hardware trouble.

The following is my personal guess, and not as accurate as above,
but if I were you, I would check

- If the device is powered (VDD shows expected voltage)

- The connection of RESET circuit

- If "VCCD" is connected to "VDDD", usually "VCCD" should be open

moto

0 Likes

What do you mean?

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

KitProg3 is available in 2 formats: snap-off (example CY8CPROTO-062S3-4343W) and integrated (example CY8CPROTO-062S2).

If you're using the integrated version, you need to remove 3 zero Ohm resistors from the pcb to isolate Kitprog3 from the other target processor (look at the schematic to identify the resistors).  And, Kitprog3 uses Vtarg as an input.  It does not supply any voltage on Vtarg.

If using the snap-off version, you can snap it off from the KIT or remove the 3 SWD related zero Ohm resistors.  Otherwise, the SWD signals will be going to/from 2 different target processors and this won't work.  And as above, Kitprog3 uses Vtarg as an input.  It does not supply any voltage on Vtarg.

0 Likes