MiniProg3: This device was recognized but does not support using it at this time

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Brian_D
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Due to the supply problem of chips on the market, we could not get the CY8C5488LTI-LP093 chips which are on the original design, but found, bought and used the CY8C5468LTI-037 (I can't find the Peripheral set spec for 037 on the datasheet so have no idea what it means). The boards with the new chips cannot be programmed by the MiniProg3 with the message "This device was recognized but does not support using it at this time". The original circuit did not have the 10K pull up to 3.3v for /XRES but I had add the 10K resistor but still having the same problem.

I believe the old and the new chips are pin-compatible, but the new chip runs at 67Mhz max vs 80Mhz for the original chip. These boards are from the newly made patch, and I have tested 2 boards with same problem.

I really hope someone here can help point me to the cause of the problem.

Thanks you,

Brian

I'm attaching the schematic

0 Likes
1 Solution
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Brian_D,

I am referring to PSoC Creator 4.4 version itself.
PSoC Creator 4.2 is the latest version compared to PSoC Creator 2.2. If you try porting the project to older version you might find many missing features so it's better to create the schematic again with the correct version components. We recommend you to install  PSoC Creator 4.4 version and check in the device manager section of  your PC , If the miniprog3 is detected. 

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

HI @Brian_D ,

Can you please try using PSoC Programmer software installed along with PSoC creator and see if your new device CY8C5468LTI-037 is detected in the same?

Also, the CY8C5468LTI-037 seems to be a PSoC 5 device and not a PSoC 5LP device like the CY8C5488LTI-LP093 . PSoC 5 device are no longer supported.

The PSoC 5 devices are no longer supported in PSOC Creator (4.4)

Can you please let me know in which version of PSoC Creator you developed your firmware and what is the target device that you selected when creating the project?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Thank you, Alen, for your quick response to my question.

I used the Programmer this morning, set the Device to CY8C5468LTi-037 (for a moment I couldn't do this because the Device Family CY8C54xx is not available on the pull down menu, but the device is under CY8C55xx). The process failed and here is the screen shot:

Brian_D_0-1657308147518.png

The project was developed with Creator 4.2 (4.2.0.641) and target device CY8C5468LPi-LP026 as this is the closet choice for CY8C5468LTi-037 chips we have.  Could this be the problem? What Creator version that supports CY8C5468LTi-037  target device?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes

Hello.

The problem is, you can't compile a project for 1 device and then attempt to download it into a different device.  There are device checks done against the load file when attempts to program it (and no, you can't turn off the device checks).

The last version of Creator to support PSoC 5 is version 2.2.  You can find it here:

PSoC™ Creator Archive - Infineon Technologies

I suggest you install Creator 2.2 on a different PC.  Otherwise, all sorts of files get changed and things become a mess very quickly.

BTW, PSoC Programmer generally recognizes all PSoC devices.  PSoC Creator drops off older devices.

Good for you to find where Cypress hid CY8C54xx, under the CY8C55xx series.  I have no idea why they did that.  I ran into that same situation a few years back.

BTW, not sure why you set PSoC Programmer to Power Cycle mode.  Generally, it's set to Reset mode.  Unless of course, you really want Power Cycle mode.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Bibi, thank you for your help pointing to Creator version 2.2

"BTW, not sure why you set PSoC Programmer to Power Cycle mode.  Generally, it's set to Reset mode.  Unless of course, you really want Power Cycle mode."

To be honest I have no idea on this. Previous engineer set the Programmer's parameters and I continue to support this project when he left. I will read up on the Power cycle vs Reset mode.

I really hope setting the target device to the correct part number in Creator 2.2 will fix this problem.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes

I installed Creator 2.2 on a new Windows 10 laptop, and the Creator IDE Device Selector has the target device CY8C5468LTI-037 as I wanted, but the Programmer does not. The Programmer is version 3.18 and Device Family lists  CY8CLEDxx and CY8CPEN1xx; nothing like CY8C54xx. This means I cannot find the Device on the list for my target chip. Can someone explain this?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Brian_D ,

Can you try using the latest PSoC Programmer v 3.29 and see if you are able to detect your device in the same?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Hi Alen,

Since I just installed Creator 2.2 and since I can select the target device  on the IDE, so I will port the project over to Creator 2.2, generate the new .hex file, and see if the  "program" function will not or not. If not then I will install V3.29 and test it out. 

Since Creator 2.2 cannot run on the original project which was developed with Creatot 4.2, so I have to create the whole topdesign.cysch from scratch as I don't know how to port it over. This will take some times.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes

Hi Alen,

I removed version 2.2 and installed v3.2 (could not find 3.29), but under device selection there is only CY8C5468LTI-LP026, and no CY8C5468LTI-037 for the device I use. 

Version 2.2 has the device I wanted to select, but I'm unable to connect to MiniPro3. I will install v2.2 back and try it again, unless someone have better idea.

Brian

0 Likes
Brian_D
Level 2
Level 2

So I installed Creator V2.2 on a new Windows 10 laptop (no connection to internet) and created a simple project to test the "program target" function using MiniProg3 connected to a target board. When MiniProg3 connected to pc, the USB connection/disconnection  sound can be heard, but none of the LED lights on the Miniprog3 are lid, and the status says no connection (do I need internet connection for the Driver?)  I also tried with the PSoC Programmer but having the same problem. How do I know if the USB driver is running or not when plug in the MiniProg3?

Also, Alen asked me to try Creator 3.29 but I only can find 3.2. What is the difference between PsocCreatorsetup_3.2_b724.exe     vs       PsocCreatorsetup_3.2_sp1_b6175.exe   ?

Brian

0 Likes
Gautami_12

Hi @Brian_D ,

Please update the  PSoC Programmer firmware by navigating to options->programmer options->Then check the enable button->Then press on ok.

Gautami_12_1-1657610890802.png

Also please check if the miniprog3 is connected to your PC  through Device manager.
Please refer to the screenshot below :-

Gautami_12_4-1657616358784.png

Please Let us know if  you can see the same in your device manager.

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes

Hi Gautami J

The recently installed Creator V2.2 includes the PSoC Programmer V3.18.0.1536, and when I clicked on the Options tab it only shown the greyed out "Programmer Options" and nothing else.

BTW, you asked to Enable the Auto Update, but what Programmer version you wanted me to update to? Please keep in mind that the newer versions might not support for this older device that I'm using CY8C5468LTI-037.

Brian

0 Likes
Brian_D
Level 2
Level 2

So I had installed v2.2 and 3.2 Creator, and the PSoC Programmers under these versions don't have the CY8C5XXX family for device CY8C5468LTI-037 that I'm using. It's weird that Creator v3.2 even has the newer chip CY8C5488-LP093 in the selector, but the Programmer doesn't have the CY8C5xxx family. Am I missing something here?

Brian

0 Likes
Gautami_12

Hi @Brian_D,

I have  checked CY8C5468LTI-037 device is supported in PSoC Creator.

Gautami_12_1-1657772110353.png

Can you please let us know if miniprog3 is detected in the device manager of your PC?

Can you also send a screenshot of the PSoC Programmer when the miniprog3 is connected to the device?

Warm Regards
Gautami J

0 Likes

Hi Gautami_12,

What version of Creator were you referring to?

After a few days struggling with this, I installed Creator 2.2 on Windows7 as I suspect this old version might not run on Windows10. Sure enough the MiniProg3 now is recognized in Device Manager and the device selector on the Programmer now show CY8C55XX, which did not show when the tool was installed on Windows10.

I am able to program the chip now.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Brian

0 Likes
Brian_D
Level 2
Level 2

One more question: since the project was developed with version 4.2 and so it cannot be ported to Creator 2.2 directly by opening the project. I have to create the schematic again with the correct version components. Is there a better way to port the project to older version (for the old psoc chips)?

0 Likes
Gautami_12

Hi @Brian_D,

I am referring to PSoC Creator 4.4 version itself.
PSoC Creator 4.2 is the latest version compared to PSoC Creator 2.2. If you try porting the project to older version you might find many missing features so it's better to create the schematic again with the correct version components. We recommend you to install  PSoC Creator 4.4 version and check in the device manager section of  your PC , If the miniprog3 is detected. 

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes