Method for programming KitProg3 image into PSOC5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoLl_4741886
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

We have a design that is based off the CY8CPROTO-062-WiFi board. Our board has a built-in KitProg3 just like the the proto board. We need to program the CY8C5868LTI-LP039 with the KitProg3 firmware. What tool should we use to do this?  Does the PSOC5 come from the factory programmed with a bootloader that will accept the KitProg3 image via USB?

I was able to program a KitProg3.hex file into real KitProg3 board by connecting a MiniProg4 to the PSOC5 XRES, P1.0 and P1.1 pins. Unfortunately,  the manufacturer failed to route those pins on our board. Our only option to program the PSOC5 is with USB. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi JoLl.

Good to hear you identified the loop holes in your process.  Even a perfect pcb can be a learning experience.

If you have someone who can solder 'fine' wire onto XRES of 5LP package, and solder wires to SWD (USB port) signals, you should be able to put the bootloader into onboard Kitprog3 along with Kitprog3 programmer bootloadable.  Then, you'll be able to talk to onboard Kitprog3 via USB.

If you don't have any fine wire, you can use a single strand of multi-strand wire.  Just keep in mind this strand is not insulated.  I've also unwound an inductor/transformer to get some fine insulated wire.

Let us know if you have any other issues to discuss.

edit: I forgot (it's been a while).  There's a component pad where XRES can be accessed (assuming the capacitor and resistor on XRES were not removed from schematic).  No need to solder a wire directly to 5LP pin.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

Cypress does not pre-program a bootloader into any PSoC chips that leave the factory (except a PSoC 4000 wafer scale package).

Cypress publishes a list of 3rd party companies who offer device programming service.
https://www.cypress.com/products/device-programmer-system-partners

Cypress tools for PSoC programming are listed here:
https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-programming-solutions#tabs-0-bottom_side-6

There is a possibility to program PSoC 5LP via USB connections since these share an alternate function of SWD signals.  Access to XRES is still required unless you can implement Power Cycle reset.

Here's a thread where a user re-used USB connections to program PSoC 5LP.  So, it can be done.
https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Convert-Kitprog1-into-Kitprog2/m-p/1...

Depending on what devices are connected to USB signals, such as ESD protection, pull-ups, etc., you may need to remove these devices for SWD logic level signal integrity.

I wouldn't blame the manufacturer for not routing SWD signals.  That responsibility falls on the circuit designer and pcb layout person before it goes to fab.  I would be shocked if a manufacturer removed signal traces.

It might be faster, lower resource cost, to re-do the schematic/pcb, than to spend a week trying to make a board work.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes
JoLl_4741886
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Thank you for the reply and great information.

Our manufacturer is engaging a 3rd-party to program the PSOC5.

Our manufacturer created the schematics based on our requirements. They didn't know that the test points in the KitProg3 schematic were needed for programming the PSOC5 so they didn't keep them. They routed the target SWD signals to a connector for updating the KitProg3 PSOC5. I should have caught that in a schematic review. I expect to find a few more "gotchas" when we receive the boards. There are several lessons to be learned here.

0 Likes

Hi JoLl.

Good to hear you identified the loop holes in your process.  Even a perfect pcb can be a learning experience.

If you have someone who can solder 'fine' wire onto XRES of 5LP package, and solder wires to SWD (USB port) signals, you should be able to put the bootloader into onboard Kitprog3 along with Kitprog3 programmer bootloadable.  Then, you'll be able to talk to onboard Kitprog3 via USB.

If you don't have any fine wire, you can use a single strand of multi-strand wire.  Just keep in mind this strand is not insulated.  I've also unwound an inductor/transformer to get some fine insulated wire.

Let us know if you have any other issues to discuss.

edit: I forgot (it's been a while).  There's a component pad where XRES can be accessed (assuming the capacitor and resistor on XRES were not removed from schematic).  No need to solder a wire directly to 5LP pin.

0 Likes