Measure Vcc by power monitor

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BaDr_2102091
Level 1
Level 1
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted

Hi ,

Can I measure in 5LP device Vcc using power monitor without connecting it externally to analog input?

BR,

Barak

0 Likes
1 Solution

Dennis,

Your solution is elegant for VDDA < 4.00V

Will the following be an acceptable solution for VDDA = 5.00V?

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1644538791588.png

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1644538834313.png

Barak,

On a project I executed on a PSoC4, I ran out of ADC inputs and I needed to detect the VDDD/VDDA voltage.   I used the Low-Voltage-Detector (LVD) available in the system. 

I first made sure the LVD system did not cause a interrupt or HW reset.

Next every 1 second in active mode, I created a SW loop and modified the LVD threshold and read the LVD status register.   One I found the LVD threshold that tripped the LVD, this was the VDDA voltage.

This was not as elegant as a ADC read but without extra ADC inputs to the ADC, this was an acceptable substitute.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

Yes, with certain limits. There are two separate reference blocks, you can see this on the datasheet analog routing diagram. If you're working on 3.3V, you can route a reference directly to the input of the SAR or the Sequencing SAR.

DennisS_46_0-1644531738831.png
The  reference is  Vdd/2, 1.65V. Connect the SAR's reference to  1.024V, this gives a range of 2.048V. This builds nicely.

DennisS_46_1-1644531851630.png
You can now measure Vdd/2. The limitation is that if you're running at Vdd=5.0V, Vdd/2is over the range of ADC.
If that's the case, it will take an external divider to get the value down to the measurement range of 0 to 2.048V. Be sure to bypass the ref input to the SAR (in my build it was on P0.1) to get a clean measurement.

---- Dennis

Dennis,

Your solution is elegant for VDDA < 4.00V

Will the following be an acceptable solution for VDDA = 5.00V?

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1644538791588.png

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1644538834313.png

Barak,

On a project I executed on a PSoC4, I ran out of ADC inputs and I needed to detect the VDDD/VDDA voltage.   I used the Low-Voltage-Detector (LVD) available in the system. 

I first made sure the LVD system did not cause a interrupt or HW reset.

Next every 1 second in active mode, I created a SW loop and modified the LVD threshold and read the LVD status register.   One I found the LVD threshold that tripped the LVD, this was the VDDA voltage.

This was not as elegant as a ADC read but without extra ADC inputs to the ADC, this was an acceptable substitute.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes