Large JTAG Chain on PSOC5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuLe_1240116
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

Hi Cypress community,

I am designing a PCB which allows for programming 48 devices on a single PCB using a single JTAG connector. My understanding is that PSoC4 devices (which are much more widely available) do not support JTAG (only SWD).  

Has anyone had success in programming a large number of devices on a single chain?  I intend to buffer the clock in groups of 8.  My concern is with using the Miniprog's JTAG and having reliability issues with this number of devices.  Hoping to stick with PSoC family but open to other ideas.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted
0 Likes
5 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @RuLe_1240116 ,

Can you please let me know which MiniProg programmer you are using for this procedure ( 4 or 3 ) ?

Because currently we do not support JTAG in MiniProg4 but the same is supported in MiniProg3.

Can you also specify the PSoC device part number which you are trying to program?

0 Likes
RuLe_1240116
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alen

Sure, P/N CY8C5288LTI-LP090.  Using Miniprog 4. Because of the chip shortage, don't have this part yet.  This is a preliminary design.  Miniprog 4 has connectors labeled with JTAG signals.  Do those signals not work?

Is there a comparable programmer compatible with PSoC creator (i.e. SEGGER)?

Thank you

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @RuLe_1240116 

If you see the MiniProg4 landing page you can see the following table:

AlenAn14_0-1635308364839.png

The 5 pin and 10 pin header support only SWD protocol while the 12 pin headers supports i2c, UART and SPI for simple communication use with the Bridge Control Panel.

And also from  the CY8CKIT-005 MiniProg4 Program and Debug Kit Release Notesthe following limitation is specified,

AlenAn14_1-1635310949329.png

"Miniprog 4 has connectors labeled with JTAG signals.  Do those signals not work?"
So, short answer is no, JTAG is not supported on MiniProg4 as of now but we have plans to add this feature in future releases.
Please use MiniProg3 if JTAG support is necessary.

"Is there a comparable programmer compatible with PSoC creator (i.e. SEGGER)?"

PSoC Creator does not support SEGGER J-Link but only MiniProg3/4 or KitProg.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
RuLe_1240116
Level 1
Level 1

Alen

Thanks for the help.  I must have glanced over this table completely in that doc.  So I will use MiniProg3.  Do you have any idea of the maximum number of devices in a chain that MiniProg3 can support?  This data is difficult to find.  Otherwise, is there some way to mux these signals without muxing all of the lines (i.e. just use NRST?)

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @RuLe_1240116 ,

Can you please take a look at this thread and see if it answers your query?

https://community.infineon.com/t5/PSoC-5-3-1/Possible-to-program-multiple-PSoC5-simultaneously-with-...

0 Likes