Is this Impossible to implement in psoc ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's this circuit:

http://imgur.com/Hkg8Uz6

(optionally with more switched capacitors/signals, s1/s2/s3 are digital signals to integrate toghether with the analog signal)

It believe that it's impossible to implement in the psoc1(or even other psoc chips).

Is there some trick to do it ?

Thanks

0 Likes
16 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

In PSoC1 you may use the SwitchCapConfig component configured as an integrator and adjust ACap in 32 steps by the use of a control-register.

Have a look into the datasheet.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Take a look at this -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2630     AN2223

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

From reading app notes , i understand that each switch in  the switched cap block is modulated by phi1/phi2. You can only turn them on or off, but not control them directly from some digital source(say shift register) , right?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Not quite right. There are switches controlled by phi1/phi2 but there are other switches (mainly those for configuration) that are accessed by writing into a register.

So the question remains: What more than your initial configuration you'd like to solve?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my schematic, the switched caps are modulated by control signals. One way to look at it is they implement a correlation algorithm.for this just a config bit won't be enough.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The analog column clock is the source for PHI1 and PHI2. It can be selected

from any digital block in the digital array, say a timer, or counter or....and you

control with APIs its divisor in case of a timer/counter, or from some of the fixed

global clocks, like VC1, VC2.

In the below pic the two muxes that control this are DCB33 and the mux feeding the

clock input of the analog column blocks.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Pic did not post, here attached.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading about how the integrator works(AN2041 pg 5) , it does seem that it needs a stable analog clock to do his job properly(transrfer charge from  input capacitor to feedback capacitor), and modulation of an analog clock won't work.

Another possible approach is:

1.Take Vin , create -Vin.

For each modulating integrator :

a. Connect Vin, -Vin to an analog mux.

b. Modulate the mux with modulation signal

c. connect the mux output to an integrator

Than sum the integrators toghether.

But :

1. Is ther a summarizer module ?

2. It takes a lot of blocks . I need 16 channels , psoc1 has only 2 analog blocks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that you can build the summarizer module only with external parts(ressitors), and the number of channels you cn integrate is a bit limited, but apart from that t'll work.

Any way , thanks guys and especially thanks dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If not proprietary can you answer the following questions ?

1) What are the signal sources ?

2) Signal source BW ?

3) Purpose of the integrator ?

4) Integrator, you trying to set its gain or response ?

5) Once you sum what further processing are you trying to do ?

6) Overall function of the design ?

7) DC and AC accuracy, resolution required ?

This way forum may be able to assist in depth.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

After i sum , i need low-pass filter and adc.

The gain of the integrator doesn't matter. What's an interator response ? .

I just need 16 correlators(integrators controlled by the digital signals) and a summary.

I was just trying to figure out whether psoc could do compressive sensing, don't have all those details - figured if there was a way to build this in psoc , i'll see what are the constraints.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Compressive sensing is some type of adc which also compresses the data. Has some benefits with regards to power and sample rate.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The integrator response is the AC response of the integrator.

Compressed ADC, I normally think of a codec like ADC.

When you state correlator, I do not understand how switching an integrator

forms a correlation, other than the output of the integrator is a sampled integrated

version of the input signal, eg. a simple correlation of the integrator response and

swicthing ?

Seems to me, if input signal BW low enough, this is best done in the digital domain by

sampling all signals one at a time, and performing the necessary transform (filter)

on the sample set ? So A/D first, then do all the requisite filtering. Until you know the

signal details the realizability of this approach in question.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correlator implements the function integral(Vin*S1). . Since S1 is a digital signal(-1,1) , my original circuit works by chraging the caps while S1=1 , and discharging them while S1=-1. (There might also be a need to discharge the caps at the end of the integrator sampling period, but i forgot about that).

That's the original circuit i've drawn.

Yes it can be done digitally , but doing this in the analog domain could savepower and offer better sampling rates.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might find the modulation bit useful for this application, which enables modulation of an analog signal by a hardware digital signal. This is available in Type C Switched Cap blocks - refer page 416 of the PSoC1 TRM:
http://www.cypress.com/?docID=46288

An example usage of the modulation bit for full wave rectifier is below:

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=6134

You can choose a part such as CY8C27/28/29 that have the maximum number(4) of ASC blocks in a single device.

Thanks & Regards,

Prem

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks prem.

The modulation looks very usefull, but since the limit is 4 blocks, it doesn't fit this application.

0 Likes