Is a FIFOout component available?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mare_570566
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

I have used the PSoC Sensei FIFOin component, but cannot find a FIFOout version.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or share something like this?

It is very frustrating that these components are still not included with PSoC creator.  After a few hours reading about the UDB editor and datapath, I realize that creating my own version is not a simple task.  Getting data to the PLD section should not be the hardest part of my design!

Thanks for reading

1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
bharadhwajas_91
Employee
Employee
First like received First like given

There is no FIFOout component , If your requirement is a parallel output of FIFO content, this is not possible with directly with UDBs however you can have a parallel output of the accumulator from the default instance of the datapath, you should instantiate cy_psoc3_dp while selecting the datapath.

And if you are planning to use DMAs you can transfer content to FIFO, push it into Accumulator in one of the state of datapath , the output will be driven on the parallel output.

I'm attaching a component that I developed some time back with 16bit parallel output of a counter .Please note that this is just for your reference and may not be production ready.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

There is no FIFOout component. I understand frustration starting UDB design. Typically parallel input is not required for UDB. Can you describe what you trying to accomplish to further advise you?

odissey1

0 Likes

The goal is to transfer good size blocks of data back and forth with an FPGA.

The first thing I noticed was the external memory interface components.  They seemed ideal until I noticed their bus clock maximum is 33Mhz.

Since there is great flexibility on the FPGA side, I decided I could "roll my own" interface.  This would avoid dragging down the whole bus clock and possibly messing with the clocks to my other modules.  I thought 16 bit FIFOin and FIFOout with DMA and a bit of glue logic would be the solution.  Unfortunately, I didn't realized the scope of getting a working FIFOout.

Then I thought 8 bit FIFOin and 8 bit control register out with DMA might be adequate.  The DMA would be less efficient, but would probably still get the job done.  In this scenario, I don't know when the control register is updated with a new byte, so I can't get a usable write signal to the FPGA.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second your sentiment.  I've worked really hard on a few PSOC projects to get around the lack of goof fifo support form GPP to FPGA and back.

0 Likes
lock attach
bharadhwajas_91
Employee
Employee
First like received First like given

There is no FIFOout component , If your requirement is a parallel output of FIFO content, this is not possible with directly with UDBs however you can have a parallel output of the accumulator from the default instance of the datapath, you should instantiate cy_psoc3_dp while selecting the datapath.

And if you are planning to use DMAs you can transfer content to FIFO, push it into Accumulator in one of the state of datapath , the output will be driven on the parallel output.

I'm attaching a component that I developed some time back with 16bit parallel output of a counter .Please note that this is just for your reference and may not be production ready.

Thanks for the advice.

For a simple start I thought I could write to A0 from the CPU and output on PO.  So far I am am having no success. 

Looking at the datapath block diagram, it appears that PO could be sourced by A0 or A1. 

Is there a setting in the Datapath Configuration Tool that connects PO to A0 or A1? 

0 Likes

Its in the output port declaration of the generic datapath instance .Please check the example attached in the previous response.

0 Likes

I fixed some errors and got A0 to PO data flowing.  I still don't understand why PO is connected to A0 (vs. A1 or open).  I have moved on regardless and got the F0 to A0 load working.  A little more work on status and control bits should yield a usable component.

0 Likes
lock attach
mare_570566
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

A test program is attached.  It clocks out bursts of 16 bit words.  No guarantees, but the FIFOout component is working so far.  Maybe it will be useful to someone else.

Great component! Thank you for sharing with community.

odissey1

0 Likes

Hi,

I am testing the FIFOout component. Can you confirm that it takes 3 input clocks to push one data value out of a FIFO?

Thank you again for sharing the component.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Sorry I missed your posts.  I don't know how this forum works.  Normally there is a "subscribe" to get emails on post activity and you always get subscribed to your own.  Anyway, I hope you got it working, because I really don't remember the details of that project.

0 Likes

Thank you again for sharing the code. I tested the component and studied its internals, but didn't use it in any project so far. You can get email notifications by modifying settings in your profile.

/odissey1

0 Likes