Is PSoC5LP being deprecated?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TipoDeIncognito
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First question asked Welcome!

Good morning!

I'm currently designing a PCB, and I was going to choose a PSoC5LP microcontroller because of the compatibility with 5V and 3.3V simultaneously for the communication protocols, the availability of analog peripherals such as VDAC,ADC and UDBs, and the fact that it can generate its own high frequency clock using a 24MHz crystal oscillator without the need for external active components. I went to the Infineon website and tried to look for a brochure on PSoC5LP microcontrollers and families, when I noticed that there's no mention to PSoC5LP products in the website under the PSoC Microcontrollers. So I decided to go on a few resellers to check for availability, and apparently there's not even a single result in stock when filtering for "cy8c5", which is the starting name of basically all PSoC5LP products I've used. I found a 1-year-old post in this forum in which it was claimed that there's no intention to make them obsolete and that the lack of them on the website was as a consequence of the website being under construction, but again it's been more than a year.

So, is the PSoC5LP family going obsolete soon? Because for practical purposes, the lack of stock and of documentation on the current website of Infineon, leads me to believe it is.

1 Solution
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello @TipoDeIncognito ,

PSoC5LP is facing shortage as a part of the current worldwide semiconductor shortage. Infineon Technologies, is planning and working hard to overcome the shortage of semiconductor devices. PSoC5LP will continue to be manufactured, since it is an MCU/PSoC of choice for mixed-signal applications, and there is no consideration to obsolete PSoC5LP. 

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello @TipoDeIncognito ,

PSoC5LP is facing shortage as a part of the current worldwide semiconductor shortage. Infineon Technologies, is planning and working hard to overcome the shortage of semiconductor devices. PSoC5LP will continue to be manufactured, since it is an MCU/PSoC of choice for mixed-signal applications, and there is no consideration to obsolete PSoC5LP. 

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

Hello.

I'm also concerned about this topic, because now PSoC 5LP information in Infineon webpage is under Legacy and even more weirdly under 8-bit/16-bit microcontroller legacy... When PSoC 5LP is a 32-bit microcontroller.

So, is it going to be obsolete soon or this is just a mistake in Infineon webpage?

Thank you!!

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

I have no issue finding PSoC 5LP datasheets at Infineon website and also at distributor websites.  Is it possible these devices are not exported to your country?  Hence, blocked info?

This link goes directly to Infineon 5LP datasheet.
PSoC® 5LP: CY8C58LP Family Datasheet Programmable System-on-Chip (PSoC®) (infineon.com)

0 Likes