Internal EEPROM or Ext EEPROM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hi to everyone!

I have a doubt about the internal eeprom psoc 5lp has. I see that it depends on the die temperature for correct working, if I did not misunderstood what I read. My question is does that mean it's better to use an external eeprom? 2K of eeprom is ok for what I need, but have misgiving using the one that comes with psoc 5lp. My working temp is from somewhat -20C to 50C, due to the equipment may be very down south (Tierra del Fuego) or very north (Misiones, Chaco) where it's very hot.

And If the is a more simpler example for the eeprom than the one that comes with creator 3.2 since it's not quit self explained.

Thank you all and regards from Bs.As. Argentina

Edgard

0 Likes
10 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        microcej, You can try my EEPROM component from community forum. http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-community-components/myeeprom-component-saverecall-application-set... It has option to check for temperature variation in adverse conditions. Normal operation (e.g. in the office) does not require temperature test. EEPROM bit writing threshold current is temperature dependent, thus you need to enable this option, nothing to worry about. Use CRC check to be sure in integrity of the EEPROM data. odissey1   
0 Likes

Hi Odissey1, thanks for the component, it looks like it's more friendly, I'll take a try

Edgard

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The temperature mostly affects EEProm endurance  and limits the number of guaranteed write/erase cycles as listed in the datasheet (Family Data Sheet). The programming algorithm checks at EEPROM_Start() API the actual die temperature and gets optimized to the result.

Bob

0 Likes

Hi Bob! Ok to what you say, but the basic is what happens if my pcb is in a room with 40 or 50 C, or if it's at -10 to -20C, does the eeprom work well?

Thanks

Edgard

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The specifications apply for the following -

11.7 Memory
Specifications are valid for –40 °C ≤ TA ≤ 85 °C and TJ ≤ 100 °C, except where noted. Specifications are valid for 1.71 V to 5.5 V,
except where noted.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Edgard,

as Dana said: Trust the specs, the EEProm will work al stated in the datasheet. When it is most likely that the temperature changes for more than 10°C between start of EEProm and an erase/write cycle you should call the API to deliver the actual temp to the component.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

From the component datasheet -

It is necessary to acquire the die temperature by calling the CySetTemp() before a series of EEPROM write operations. The CySetTemp() function queries SPC for the die temperature and stores it in a global variable, which is used while performing EEPROM write operations. If the application is used in an environment where the die temperature changes 5°C or more, the temperature should be refreshed to adjust the write times for the optimal performance.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Thank You Dana! Thank you Bob! Ok, NOW I see how things work. Going to try it! Thanks all for helping!

Regards

Edgard

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Glad I could be of help.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10