Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jimashbyiii
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

OK, looking at the I2S interface.

The I2S module has a tx/rx mode.

How would I connect a TX mode device to an RX mode device?

In the RX mode there are no clock input or frame inputs?

The documentation is not clear on this.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Ekta
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @jimashbyiii 

Since you have created this thread in the PSOC 5LP space I assume you are using PSoC 5LP.

In that case,  the I2S component is UDB based. For the application where you want to use I2S in Tx mode you should enable Tx only in I2S component. This will expose only the SDO (Serial data output) line.
Similarly, if you have a Rx  only device then in the I2S component you would need to enable Rx only as can be seen in the image below. This will expose only the SDI (Serial data input line).

Ekta_0-1707808922244.pngEkta_1-1707808932170.png

In both Tx only and Rx only modes the clock input is always available to provide the correct clock to the device.

The Clock Selection of the I2S datasheet shows how a clock can be selected based on the desired sampling rate and word select period.

Please feel free to follow up in case you have any follow up question on configuring the I2S.

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes

What my goal is to configure a way to transfer 2050ea. 16 bit words bidirectionally between two MPU's.

With a minimal number of wired connections.

I have a working configuration using UARTS but it is MPU code extensive, not the best solution.

I gather that a TX only to RX only connection uses a synchronous link, where the clock is embedded within the data stream on the TX encoding and the RX decoding extracts the clock.

What I do not understand is how does the RX side determine the WS signal, unless it is set in the configuration, but even then how do the TX and RX sync?

So looking logically at a TX only connected to an RX only where the RX only has a single SDI input connection would lead me to expect the serial data is synchronous between the two, is this correct?

0 Likes
jimashbyiii
Level 1
Level 1

cy8c5888 MPU

0 Likes
jimashbyiii
Level 1
Level 1

The databook is OK, but is there any more papers I can reference in this subject?

0 Likes
jimashbyiii
Level 1
Level 1

WELL THE PSOC5 WILL NOT WORK!!!

There are no I2S SLAVE designs in the PSOC5, not to mention the high cost.

So looking at the PSOC6 series devices they do have a true I2S SLAVE device.

Even if I can not use 6 TX MASTER, RX SLAVE devices in the same device, I can use logic switching to switch across the needed 6 designs in one CY8C6XXXX DEVICE.

I need to enter 6 TXmasterRXslave modules in one CY8C6XXXX device and check if they will all fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes