I would like to select a CPU for an application..

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeGr_603241
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to select a CPU for an application and by chance I found the PSOC series. Question - description:

the CPU should run in a power-saving mode in battery operation, if possible for 3 to 4 years, and sample + count a quadrature signal (2 bits). The sampling of the quadrature signal should also be sampled in full operating mode and counted in real time.

Option 1: it is possible to use the quadrature encoder interface of the UDPs in power-saving mode (max. 12µA). So the interface could be used in the energy saving mode and also in full operating mode.

or

Variant 2: an RTC in sleep mode with approx. 500Hz INT frequency. Evaluation of the 2-bit inputs, counters of the UDP manually increment / decrement or read / change / write back. Quadrature encoder in normal operating mode.

Is variant 1 possible?

Regards

Heiko

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

HeGr,

As Leonard Poma mentioned above, you can put PSoC into Deep Sleep mode, waking up only on Pin interrupt. Then read Pins state, update the encoder counter and go to sleep again.

The wake-up time from Deep sleep is short (25us), so average current should be small. See this blog as an example of the PSoC4 DeepSleep current measurement

https://iotexpert.com/2017/12/14/psoc-4200m-low-power-with-wdts/

To realize quadrature decoder in code (no UDBs), using interrupts or polling technique, please check this custom component

Quad Decoder with Button Switch component for rotary shaft encoders

Te interrupt code consumes about 50 processor clocks, after which it can go back to sleep again until next the interrupt

/odissey1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies