How to DMA From SRAM to Control Reg At 100khz rate? help, please.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I am trying to DMA from an SRAM array into a Control Register at a 100khz rate. (See attached project)

I am building under PSoC Creator 4.2, but also tried it under 4.3. Same results either version of Creator.

According to this post (DMA to GPIO ) feeding a clock into DRQ should work at the clock rate.  As you can see from this image here, once started, the DMA keeps transferring at a high rate ( appears to be about 3mhz).  I am sending 4 bytes,  0,1,2,3 out the control register over and over.

I want the DMA to start over automatically, and transfer at the DRQ rate over and over, re-running the array each time.  (The Preserve parameter is set to 1 for this, and it appears to be working.)

dmaShiftreg.jpeg

The Bytes per burst and request per burst are both 1 (from the DMA wizard):

#define DMA_1_BYTES_PER_BURST 1

#define DMA_1_REQUEST_PER_BURST 1

#define DMA_1_SRC_BASE (CYDEV_SRAM_BASE)

#define DMA_1_DST_BASE (CYDEV_PERIPH_BASE)

/* Variable declarations for DMA_1 */

/* Move these variable declarations to the top of the function */

uint8 DMA_1_Chan;

uint8 DMA_1_TD[1];

void DMA_1_Start() {

/* DMA Configuration for DMA_1 */

DMA_1_Chan = DMA_1_DmaInitialize(DMA_1_BYTES_PER_BURST, DMA_1_REQUEST_PER_BURST,

HI16(DMA_1_SRC_BASE), HI16(DMA_1_DST_BASE));

DMA_1_TD[0] = CyDmaTdAllocate();

CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 4, DMA_1_TD[0], DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN | CY_DMA_TD_INC_SRC_ADR | CY_DMA_TD_AUTO_EXEC_NEXT);

CyDmaTdSetAddress(DMA_1_TD[0], LO16((uint32)OutData), LO16((uint32)crPulsesOut_Control_PTR));

CyDmaChSetInitialTd(DMA_1_Chan, DMA_1_TD[0]);

CyDmaChEnable(DMA_1_Chan, 1);

}

Can someone help me with this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vison_Zhang
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Please change

CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 4, DMA_1_TD[0], DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN | CY_DMA_TD_INC_SRC_ADR | CY_DMA_TD_AUTO_EXEC_NEXT);

to CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 4, DMA_1_TD[0], DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN | CY_DMA_TD_INC_SRC_ADR);

Auto Next checkbox should not be checked in DMA wizard tool.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

WaMa,

Please find example project here

https://www.cypress.com/comment/405831#comment-405831

/odissey1

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
Vison_Zhang
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Please change

to CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_1_TD[0], 4, DMA_1_TD[0], DMA_1__TD_TERMOUT_EN | CY_DMA_TD_INC_SRC_ADR);

Auto Next checkbox should not be checked in DMA wizard tool.

0 Likes

The answer by XiaoweiZ_71 is the closest to the original question, So I will give him credit.  The project I included was pretty well hacked up.

The "correct" answer is 1) do not use CY_DMA_TD_AUTO_EXEC_NEXT (per XiaolweiZ_71). *and* 2) the Serial Shift Register *cannot be used with DMA with more than 8 bits configured in the shift register*  32 bits configured in the shift register with 4 bytes per burst produces 3 "0" byte outputs and 1 byte with data.

That limitation is *not* an issue, since the goal is to load from an array in memory.   It does allow for running arbitrarily large arrays without interrupting the cpu, which was the goal

What I do not understand is why the DMA loops, without the CY_DMA_TD_AUTO_EXEC_NEXT, but I am not going to obsess over it.

0 Likes