How does one change the USB serial number ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rasec_2385561
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I have a PSOC 5LP (cy8ckit-059) development board and I was wondering how would I go about setting the serial number for the board ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Randy Seedle,

- In case you are using the Cypress' USB-Serial part, the serial number can be updated using the Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility.

- In case you are using the Cypress peripheral controllers, please refer to the below documents for using a serial number.

Configuring the USB serial number in EZ-USB (AN21xx/FX/FX1/FX2/FX2LP)

Distinguishing Different FX3 Devices with Same VID/PID on Host Application – KBA225775

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is a unique id in the PSoC chip. You can retrieve it using CyGetUniqueID(uint32* uniqueId). See System Reference Guide (from Creator Help menu).

Bob

0 Likes

Ok, so here is the deal. When I change the PID to the value "3", the previous value for the serial number is now zero. Upon checking the values in in USBview I now see two Cypress products. One is the development board and the other is presumably the debugger. The old serial number goes with the debugger. I wanted the development board to have a serial number so that I could work in an environment with multiple copies of the Cypress development board with different serial numbers. That is why I wanted to change the serial number. If the development boards serial numbers are all zero, it won't help. Any ideas ?

Randy Seedle

0 Likes

Hello Randy Seedle,

- In case you are using the Cypress' USB-Serial part, the serial number can be updated using the Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility.

- In case you are using the Cypress peripheral controllers, please refer to the below documents for using a serial number.

Configuring the USB serial number in EZ-USB (AN21xx/FX/FX1/FX2/FX2LP)

Distinguishing Different FX3 Devices with Same VID/PID on Host Application – KBA225775

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

What include file is associated with CyGetUniqueID() function ?

Randy Seedle

0 Likes

Typo in Cypress documents the name is CyGetUniqueId() (small letter "d").

Bob

0 Likes