FreeSoC2 Development Board - PSoC5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
IvPa_4102121
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi,

can I use PSoC Creator to debug and program  FreeSOC2 PSoC5LP board ?

Unfortunately, CY8CKIT-059 uses PSOC 5LP in QFP64 and I need a bigger beast -).

0 Likes
1 Solution
brockr0-S
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

PSoC Creator programs and debugs the FreeSOC2 board.

Instructions for hookup are in the FreeSoC2 Hookup Guide V14 where they state, "If you want to move beyond the basics, you'll need to install Cypress's PSoC Creator IDE. It's free, with no code size limitations, although Cypress does ask that you register before downloading."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
brockr0-S
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

PSoC Creator programs and debugs the FreeSOC2 board.

Instructions for hookup are in the FreeSoC2 Hookup Guide V14 where they state, "If you want to move beyond the basics, you'll need to install Cypress's PSoC Creator IDE. It's free, with no code size limitations, although Cypress does ask that you register before downloading."

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

IvPa,

Yes, FreeSoC is intended to use PSoC Creator IDE. The link above is for old version of Creator_3.1. Current version is 4.2.

https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hi all,

FreeSOC2 board seems to be sold out. Any other board using large TQFP100 (or similar) PSoC 5LP device, please ?

0 Likes

SparkFun have FreeSoC2 in stock,

If you don't want to go to the source then Mouser also has stock.

0 Likes

I just unwrapped my FreeSoC board and plugged it in to my existing installation of PSoC Creator 4.2. The Select Target dialog showed the KitProg, but not the CY8C5888AXI-LP096 target. I figured it was probably due to old firmware in the debugger PSoC5, so I opened PSoC Programmer (3.28.5). It connected to KitProg and immediately wanted to update firmware, which I did. Now PSoC Programmer successfully connects for a couple of seconds and then disconnects. It will not stay connected. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Dave

0 Likes

Are you seeing the CY8C5888AXI-LP096 target now? I think you must to be able to connect at all. Port acquire fails if there is no target.

Is the Debugger LED blinking? If not the problem is likely the debugger portion.

I just updated the debugger firmware on my FreeSoC2 board and it connects and works fine.

0 Likes

Not seeing the target, and only seeing the debugger for about 2 seconds, then it disconnects. The red LED near the top right of the debugger is pulsating about once a second. Screenshot below is what I see during the 2 seconds that it stays connected.

2020-01-06.png

0 Likes

That looks like the KitProg from a CY8CKIT-059 that is not connected to a chip.

My FreeSoC2 is indicated differently KitProg/etc. Both are shown in the pic below, lower is FreeSoC

Are you plugged in to the debugger USB or one of the on board swd ports?

PSOC_connection.JPG

0 Likes

I'm plugged in to the debugger USB port via the cable that was supplied. Though I just opened this board, I've had it for quite some time (maybe a year or two). So it sounds as if the target is dead.

0 Likes