Fan controller component-PSoC3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Arjun_P
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello all,

I'm working on PSoC-3 and using it for controlling fans. I am in a dilemma on the choice of the components. I could either go with PWM block or the fan controller block. I have read the data-sheets but PWM block doesn't accept a tacho input. For my application I want to monitor the status of the fans and regulate the speed using a closed loop mechanism.

Is the fan-controller component made using the internal configurable blocks of PSoC or is it a separate chip that needs to be interfaced with the GPIO of PSoC-3? Also, if I were to implement a closed loop control using PWM how would I go about with the design?

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Arjun_P,

The Fan Controller component implements full PID control of the fans. It has several operating modes, I recommend CPU-control mode, as it takes less UDB resources and is easy on CPU as well. The Fan Control component implements (i) a Tachometer to measure speed of multiple fans, (ii) PID control, and (iii) PWM output to control 4-wire fans.

For an example project see AN66627:

AN66627 - PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5 - Intelligent Fan Controller  

/odissey1

View solution in original post

3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Arjun_P,

The Fan Controller component implements full PID control of the fans. It has several operating modes, I recommend CPU-control mode, as it takes less UDB resources and is easy on CPU as well. The Fan Control component implements (i) a Tachometer to measure speed of multiple fans, (ii) PID control, and (iii) PWM output to control 4-wire fans.

For an example project see AN66627:

AN66627 - PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5 - Intelligent Fan Controller  

/odissey1

Arjun_P
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello odissey1,

Thank you for your insight. In the application I am working on, I am implementing 34 fans using 3 PSoC 3s (each of them controlling 16 fans - 32 GPIOs per PSoC). In the datasheet  of fan-controller, it is mentioned that FanController_DataSend (ISR) can be used with PSoC4, I would like to know whether this is supported for PSoC3 also. 

0 Likes

I believe that the FanController component was originally developed for PSoC3.

0 Likes