DeltaSigma-ADC and Digital Comparator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Sven_MZ
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

my question is the following. Is it possible to send the digital value of the deltasigma ADC directly to a digital comparator? By DMA or ...?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Svem_MZ,

Attached is a demo project showing DMA transfer from a 16-bit RAM buffer to the custom 16-bit Control Register. It utilizes custom component ControlReg16 (and a complimentaryStatusReg16) components which allow for simple DMA access. The ControlReg16 and StatusReg16 component are included into the project.

You can accommodate this project for DelSig_ADC  to CReg16 transfer by changing DMA settings.

/odissey1

Figure 1. Project schematic. DMA transfers data from RAM buffer to CReg_1 on each Timer clock. When DMA transfer is complete, the program terminates.

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_A.png

Figure 2. UART Terminal output showing content of the Buffer, CReg_1 and SReg_1 registers.

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_Terminal.png

Figure 3. Project annotation using PSoC Annotation Library v1.0 

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_KIT-059.png 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

Peripheral to peripheral transfer should be possible. You can refer this example of using Delsig ADC and VDAC as a reference. 

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-CE95273_Delta_Sigma_ADC_in_single-ended_mode_using_DMA_and_VD...

Additionally why are you planning to update the comparator ? If you tell what is the exact requirement we could suggest something better ?

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I would like to compare the value from the ADC with some other values and link the results logically. This is of course also possible via software. Unfortunately, the example does not help, since the digital comparator always requires a connection at the inputs. When addressing via DMA, however, there is no connection from the DMA to the comperator.

Do you have some ideas???

Best regards

Sven

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Sven,

There are two easy ways to solve this.

Here's one that more closely matches your suggestion:

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1646920560685.png

The ADC EOC causes a DMA from the ADC data registers to the CR_ADC control register.  The CR_thresh register is used by you to set the threshold to trigger an event such as an interrupt.   The Dcmp can be set to the threshold type you want.

Another way is to use a Voltage Fault detector component available on the PSoC5.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1646920751578.png

This allows for 1 to 32 analog inputs and it uses two VDACs and two analog comparators along with some UDB logic to determine one of three stages of each pin:  Undervoltage, Good, and OverVoltage.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hi,

a question about your solution. Connecting 2 control registers to 16bit is possible, but how do I connect them to the comperator? Comparator with 16 bit is clear.Have you some ideas???

Best regards

Sven

0 Likes

Sven,

Is this what you were asking about?

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1647000594578.png

Len
0 Likes
lock attach
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Sven_MZ,

The DelSig-ADC is relatively slow, working in some kHz rate, so most appropriate technique would be using ADC interrupt and comparing the values in code. The other approaches could be justified only when working in MHz range, using SAR-ADC.

The SAR_ADC has digital output bus, which can be connected directly to the digital comparator. You can find a project using ADC_SAR_ex custom component (SAR_ADC modified with digital output bus) here:

ADC_SAR - Filter - VDAC streaming demo using DMA

Attached below is a demo project showing use of the ADC_SAR_ex output bus and digital comparator. The width of the output bus corresponds to ADC bit resolution.

Figure 1.  Use of the ADC_SAR_ex digital output bus for digital comparator connection.

SAR_ADC_comparator_01a_A.png

/odissey1,

The ADC_SAR component you speak of is a custom component that has a standard SAR in the underlying schematic correct?

Len
0 Likes

Len,

The stock ADC_SAR has internal digital output bus, which is hidden. The custom ADC_SAR_ex simply brings that digital bus out for external use, for example digital comparator or FIFO. The custom modification is merely cosmetic (an output bus connector was added to the schematic), and the modified component maintains all the specs of the original ADC_SAR.

0 Likes
Sven_MZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you all😊. The suggestions help me a lot to solve my problem.👍

Best regards

Sven

0 Likes
lock attach

Svem_MZ,

Attached is a demo project showing DMA transfer from a 16-bit RAM buffer to the custom 16-bit Control Register. It utilizes custom component ControlReg16 (and a complimentaryStatusReg16) components which allow for simple DMA access. The ControlReg16 and StatusReg16 component are included into the project.

You can accommodate this project for DelSig_ADC  to CReg16 transfer by changing DMA settings.

/odissey1

Figure 1. Project schematic. DMA transfers data from RAM buffer to CReg_1 on each Timer clock. When DMA transfer is complete, the program terminates.

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_A.png

Figure 2. UART Terminal output showing content of the Buffer, CReg_1 and SReg_1 registers.

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_Terminal.png

Figure 3. Project annotation using PSoC Annotation Library v1.0 

RAM-DMA-CReg16_01a_KIT-059.png 

0 Likes
HereturbiesWalt
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 questions asked First like given

I've been going over delta-sigma design concepts for a while and I want to try out an initial realistic design in Cadence Virtuoso. Some resources I've used have included books like the Schreier book and Baker's CMOS Mixed Signal Design.

Wondering if anyone here with some experience could suggest papers/references for specific delta-sigma ADC designs that could be appropriate for a first attempt?

0 Likes
Sven_MZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you all. There are lots of good tips here. And with your help I have now found a solution to my problem.

Best regards

Sven

0 Likes