DelSig ADC Problems

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having trouble getting accurate readings from the delsig adc on a CY8CKIT-050 PSoC® 5LP Development Kit. For starters, despite compensating with setting the offset the adc reads a constant 1.3V whereas my multimeter and other CY8CKIT-059 read a constant 0.8V. Furthermore, the readings have sharp spikes in them despite a stable input. I have attached my project below.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are using an eoc interrupt, but this does not let your program wait for a value converted. Use IsEndConversion() or read the ADC in interrupt handler.

In line

My_ADC_SetOffset(-35); //measured by shorting ground to input

where did you get the 35 from? this are counts, not mV

ADC settings:

Buffer mode -> Bypass buffer

Reference: Vdda/4 Bypassed P3.2

You always can do a fine-tuning by calculating y = aX +B at two different voltages (1V and 4V, not 0 and 5V) and setting offset and gain to match your configuration.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Can it be you powered your PSoC with 3.3V (Check board)? In system configuration you set VDD to 5V, this will affect conversion from counts to mV. The spikes may come from the situation that you do not wait  using the ADC_IsEndConversion() API, so picking up intermediate results.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip- I measured vdda and changing the value in psoc creator has improved the results but the results are still far from good. For example measuring 5V = 4.81V and 3.3V = 3.42V so there's more than just an offset which I believe I have compensated for. As for the spikes, I am triggering an ISR at the end of each conversion and using that instead of isEndConversion.

My arduino provides better readings which it shoudln't given the resolution of its adc so I don't understand why there is such a large error.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are using an eoc interrupt, but this does not let your program wait for a value converted. Use IsEndConversion() or read the ADC in interrupt handler.

In line

My_ADC_SetOffset(-35); //measured by shorting ground to input

where did you get the 35 from? this are counts, not mV

ADC settings:

Buffer mode -> Bypass buffer

Reference: Vdda/4 Bypassed P3.2

You always can do a fine-tuning by calculating y = aX +B at two different voltages (1V and 4V, not 0 and 5V) and setting offset and gain to match your configuration.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I thought eoc would accomplish the same. I also made a huge mistake by blindly looking at the input range when configuring the component and forgot that my analog input should be lower than vdda. As for the setoffset I assumed I was supposed to feed it counts because of point 1 on http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/adc-errors-and-techniques-compensate-these-errors

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I understanding this correctly, that the End Of Conversion interrupt can go true before the End Of Conversion?

It sounds like the correct procedure then is to poll the ADC inside the ISR till the conversion is actually really done?

I am just getting started with the PSOC, but I also assumed that the EOC int happened when the data was ready to be collected.  How then does the DMA transfer work if triggered from the EOC output of the DAC?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Am I understanding this correctly, that the End Of Conversion interrupt can go true before the End Of Conversion?

No, when eoc happens the interrupt gets fired.

Your code handling the eoc interrupt is

CY_ISR(adc_done_Handler){
    newVoltage = 1;//led_pin_Write(1);
}

There is no read of the conversion result. You do not act on the "newVoltage" flag accordingly.

Bob

0 Likes