DVKProg5 COM Port unavailable

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BhSr_4843381
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hey, 

I am new to development on the PSoC platform and I am attempting to configure UART on this device. It is a PSOC5LP - 050 board. I'm unable to configure the COM port I am supposed to read it on, because it does not show anything on device manager about which virtual COM port I should connect. 

I am able to program other components and I have already worked on a few applications which are working fine. Sending a screenshot of my device manager. On PSOC programmer also, the Upgrade firmware option is 'greyed-out'. Any advice is appreciated. 

EDIT: I have checked the example documentation and connected the RS-232 with the related Pinouts to the Rx and Tx pin and still nothing appears on my COM port. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

No guarantee replacing the USB-DB9 adaptor will solve problem.  The PC might still have incorrect port configuration, or software bug in Kit-050, or bad USB cable, etc.

You can run a simple loopback test to check if USB-DB9 adaptor is functioning properly.
Connect it to PC USB.
Connect it to KIT-050 DB-9.
At KIT-050 RS-232 header P5, connect pin1 to pin 2, connect pin 3 to pin 4.  There are no connections back to PSoC.
Apply power to KIT-050.
Now, open your PC terminal program (Hyperterminal, TeraTerm, Putty, whatever).
Configure PC terminal program to use USB adaptor.
Configure "Local Echo" to be ON.
Start the communication channel.
Now, if everything is setup correctly, any characters you type, will be echoed back.
If you only see a single character as you type, then something is wrong.
If you see double characters, the USB-DB9 and PC terminal program are working properly.

So, try to get the loopback test working first.
Then, connect KIT-050 TX/RX jumpers to PSoC header and test.

As for updating KIT-050 programming chip CY7C68013A (FX2LP Programmer), it cannot be updated to my knowledge.  I've never seen a Cypress software package that could do that.  Maybe it exists, but I've not found it.  PSoC Programmer can update Kitprog, but not FX2LP Programmer.  Besides, if it's working as it is, there's no need to update it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

Sounds like you have issue with your USB-to-DB-9 RS-232 adaptor.  Maybe it is not compatible with Kit-050 RS-232 DB-9.

PSoC Programmer can update Kitprog programmer.  Kit-050 does not have Kitprog programmer.  That's why it is grey.

0 Likes

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. So by replacing the USB-DB9 adaptor, the problem should be solved? I am getting some junk data from UART whenever I reset the board. 

Do you mean that Kit-050 firmware cannot be updated using PSoC programmer? If yes, how do I update firmware, if necessary, for this kit?

0 Likes

Hello.

No guarantee replacing the USB-DB9 adaptor will solve problem.  The PC might still have incorrect port configuration, or software bug in Kit-050, or bad USB cable, etc.

You can run a simple loopback test to check if USB-DB9 adaptor is functioning properly.
Connect it to PC USB.
Connect it to KIT-050 DB-9.
At KIT-050 RS-232 header P5, connect pin1 to pin 2, connect pin 3 to pin 4.  There are no connections back to PSoC.
Apply power to KIT-050.
Now, open your PC terminal program (Hyperterminal, TeraTerm, Putty, whatever).
Configure PC terminal program to use USB adaptor.
Configure "Local Echo" to be ON.
Start the communication channel.
Now, if everything is setup correctly, any characters you type, will be echoed back.
If you only see a single character as you type, then something is wrong.
If you see double characters, the USB-DB9 and PC terminal program are working properly.

So, try to get the loopback test working first.
Then, connect KIT-050 TX/RX jumpers to PSoC header and test.

As for updating KIT-050 programming chip CY7C68013A (FX2LP Programmer), it cannot be updated to my knowledge.  I've never seen a Cypress software package that could do that.  Maybe it exists, but I've not found it.  PSoC Programmer can update Kitprog, but not FX2LP Programmer.  Besides, if it's working as it is, there's no need to update it.

0 Likes

Hello, 

I appreciate your detailed response on this topic, thank you. I will attempt the loopback test and get back with the results here.

Thank you again. 

0 Likes